PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Contaminated water, food industry clogged with carcinogenic components, fruits and vegetables with pesticides, milk with pesticides, meat industry, sports food loaded with chemical sweeteners. Environmental pollution. Home furnishings. The cases of cancer in young people, who neither smoke nor drink, is overwhelming. And so many other diseases. Stress, anxiety, depression. It's a whole bunch of factors that are appropriate for it. This is simply a personal reflection. Unfortunately, this is life. As a believer. The only thing I can do is pray the rosary. To commend myself to God.
John,
Great post. As a believer myself, praying the rosary and offering my terribly broken self to God is about all I can do in any setting!

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
John,
Great post. As a believer myself, praying the rosary and offering my terribly broken self to God is about all I can do in any setting!
Another option is to look for a good lawyer to fight with the political, social and cultural woke, cavernicola system of this wonderful XXI century. If you have a good current account. Even, send a request for help in area 51.

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Common sense says filtered pipes, most especially 9mm charcoal filters, reduce cancer risk. (Assuming this does not lead you to smoke more often).

Reviewing studies of cigarette filters and health, the literature is useless BS 'must fit the narative' stuff -- tobacco bad, filters bad, freedom bad, you and your children bad, racist, climate killers.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Studies like this are fine, but it's merely only a snapshot of a small group and only creates a general idea, as it's not 100% concrete. There are too many variables for any study to be 100% factual. Can you find some good take away's from these types of studies, yes; but again, each person is different, and their genetics and their personal activities will ultimately play a role in what happens to them.

I'm a firm believer in moderation. I don't drink excessively, I don't smoke excessively, I don't eat junk food excessively, etc. Everything in moderation, minus illegal drugs of course, is the way to go.

You need to have a good work/ life balance, good sleep schedule, good eating habits, exercise from time to time, find things that reduce your stress/ anxiety levels, do things to keep you happy and positive in life. If you choose to drink and/ or smoke, then limit those behaviors to a reasonable level.
That is the key to life... do things that make you happy, balance your activities and everything in moderation. ;)

dad-o-nine

Might Stick Around
Mar 14, 2020
Missouri
Is there a surprise here? BTW, whats the death rate for pipe smokers who only smoke outdoors? Did they include that? If not, sloppy work!
Agree, plus they reference depth of inhalation but I do not see that factor in the results. One may infer that smoking pipes outdoor only with no inhalation would gave different lung cancer results than an indoor only smoker who is tough enough to inhale.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
In the words of the Infamous Jim Morrison of the Doors:
"...the future's uncertain and the end is always near...so, let it roll, baby, roll"
Pretty much sums it up for me at this point.
He also said, "Her c**t gripped him like a warm, friendly hand."

Which may or may not sum it up for me... 😬

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Agree, plus they reference depth of inhalation but I do not see that factor in the results. One may infer that smoking pipes outdoor only with no inhalation would gave different lung cancer results than an indoor only smoker who is tough enough to inhale.
Although it wouldn't make a difference with regard to mouth, lip, and esophageal cancers.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
OK, I was the third poster is this thread and hung back because it was difficult for me to actually decipher the statistical analysis. I think Makhorkasmoker in post 32 gave a pretty good analysis. The danger of pipe smoking is real, as we all know, but not catastrophic.
That being said, tobacco is the most widely known, 100% proven carcinogen there is. We make our choices and take whatever chances there may be. I'd have to say that if most of us have a smoking pipe hanging out of our mouth all day long, that small risk would go up. For moderate pipe smokers that would cough if they accidentally inhale, not so much.
As for myself, I may have some proclivity towards getting cancer... I've had colon cancer and prostate cancer. I'm doing good now. My personal life is far from serene, (won't go into all that,) but my daily session outside with a churchwarden pipe and a dusty old book help keep me from blowing my brains out. And that's important.

I agree that basically it's not harm free but also well with in reason to ask what you get out of it and then make an informed choice.
The one thing most people skimmed over that I found hyper interesting is the link between lung cancer and inhaling pipe smoke versus not inhaling pipe smoke. Not a surprise that intentionally inhaling pipe smoke would lead to lung cancer but what is a big shock is the vastness between the lower risk of inhaling a pipe and inhaling cigarettes (although if you actually inhaled a pipe like the thing you're smoking out of it would probably kill you pretty fast).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Although it wouldn't make a difference with regard to mouth, lip, and esophageal cancers.
reminds me of a few studies that stated cancer risk in oral cancers in relation to pipe smoking was heavily linked to how hot the pipe was smoked. I think about that with tongue bite and also how much more tolerant and comfortable I find smoking several bowls in a short time compared to when I was in the puff along phase.

Reactions: MartyA and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
One thing I want to say too is that personal observations might not have the same weight as a well done study, it still has value. Or in other words noticing things like many of the elderly members we loss here seem to die from non smoking diseases and issues more than issues linked with smoking. I wouldn't say that is conclusive but I will say that patterns like that do matter and carry meaning. Compare with the people of the same age you've lost in your life who smoked cigarettes, it's kind of shocking how different those two observations are. Or in other words there is more then one reason pipe smoking is part of the old fart stereotype.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think higher education does play a role. It tends to offer subjects a higher economic status which can lead to better healthcare, better diet and access to things that increase lifespan. Of course access does not equal good choices. However, spread across a large subject pool it makes a difference in external risk variables outside of smoking. Of course it is not causation. Its a bell curve and there many exceptions.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I agree that basically it's not harm free but also well with in reason to ask what you get out of it and then make an informed choice.
The one thing most people skimmed over that I found hyper interesting is the link between lung cancer and inhaling pipe smoke versus not inhaling pipe smoke. Not a surprise that intentionally inhaling pipe smoke would lead to lung cancer but what is a big shock is the vastness between the lower risk of inhaling a pipe and inhaling cigarettes (although if you actually inhaled a pipe like the thing you're smoking out of it would probably kill you pretty fast).
My thought as well.

Reactions: anotherbob