PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collinj

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
I don't think anybody's bagging him. It's just easy for others to make assumptions just because you're a pipe smoker, especially when you're younger. It can get old very quickly when somebody joking calls you Gandalf for the 465th time.

burgon

Lurker
Jun 11, 2014
20 here. It's a good idea to see how many "young" ones are smoking pipes. It's down to us to keep it going! Although...we will be old one day...makes me shudder!

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
18 reporting in. Awesome to see all the other young pipers here. We should start an under 25 club. Any pipers in the Nashville area here should PM me, would love to meet up with more piper friends.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
23 here - started when I was 18, saw a basket pipe on the counter that I really liked (it really was in a basket!) when I was picking up a cigar for a friend's 18th. Very irregular pipe smoker to this day, but doesn't stop me stocking up on tobacco!
I've been called a hipster once, but I don't think this person really knew what one was - apparently there are an intake of young pipesmokers now, particularly where cigarette prices have rocketed.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The OP wrote:
"I feel like it's not too common for anyone under 25 to smoke a pipe."
:) It's not common for anyone over 25 to smoke a pipe either!
But who wants to be "common"?
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I knew I wasn't 20 anymore when they stopped carding me for drinks and started giving me

the senior discount without asking. Talking to 20 somethings is really interesting. I recognize

a lot of the energy and anxiety, but the challenges are notably different. Getting married by a

certain age, or at all, is no longer a given; people work that out a thousand different ways.

Buying a car or even getting a driver's license or learning to drive is highly negotiable. When I

had to take the drivers test three times, I felt like a failure in life, and I dreamed about learning

to drive a manual shift until I did (easily). I think access to college, paying for it, and getting

a job with or without a degree is far different today. As a Vietnam veteran, I feel a solidarity

with today's younger veterans, though I don't think they perceive that connection. I also understand

not having a clear career path, having gotten out of the military in a job slump in teaching and journalism.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I was 23 when this was taken in 1978. Smokin' my Tinderbox Verona. It's still one of my favorite pipes.
pipe1977_zps835b1af5.jpg

M

mrsal

19 here. Bought a cob and some Captain Black White from CVS the day after I turned 18, and smoked it the next morning on my drive to school. Burned my tongue pretty bad, but kept at it, and now I have 3 Radices, a Tinsky, 2 Posellas, and numerous other pipes, including that first cob.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Twenty four in the middle of july here! I wish there were more people in general who smoke a pipe around here, no matter what age really.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ill be 25 July 25th. Been Smoking pipes for almost 3 years, and cigarettes for 9 years. Ive got a daughter, a wife, a mortgage, and I smoke a pipe. I have always felt older than I really am. My body is going to hell, and my wife calls me a grumpy old man lol. The pipe just fits me.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Keep puffin' my fellow Under 30 pipers. We are already the next generation of old men that are ahead of the curve.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice to have you all here .... ya' buncha' whippersnappers!! :mrgreen:
Seriously though, it's great to have such a diverse group ... old and young alike.
My step-son turns 26 in a couple of days and I kind of wish I could share this hobby with him.
What responsible parent encourages smoking though??

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
What responsible parent encourages smoking though??
That's exactly it too. I love seeing the pictures of the kids pretending to smoke dads pipe.

I have a 19 month old daughter. I wish I could get a picture of her with my pipe, haha. But that's highly looked down upon these days...

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
25x2 and then some but it's great that there are so many young guns coming into the hobby. As it is with a few of the hobbies I enjoy, I came into them later in life. As a young man I was what I guess one would call a workaholic. Raising a young family and all the responsibilities that it carries had me working myself to near death. It's not something I regret and I'm happy to be among the lucky few who can now take life a little easier now. Knowing that there are so many young people taking up the pipe re-energizes my hope for their generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.