Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
N
Alright, so if you see someone reading a newspaper, do you just walk up and interrupt him and start asking him questions? Or, if you see someone reading a book?
Smoking a pipe is the same way. You force the person to remove their pipe and engage you. It's sort of rude. If I want to talk, I'll remove my pipe and introduce myself. If I just want to smoke and enjoy my smoke, I'll avoid eye contact.
I wouldn’t interrupt someone no. But if I’m the one that’s interrupted it doesn’t bother me too much. Happy to talk to whoever it is.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Once, a very beautiful, very drunk girl came out of my favorite watering hole and asked if she could try my pipe. Pretty much pulled it out of my drooling mouth and stuck it right in hers. I was in the process of getting rather excited when her large, off-duty cop husband came out to join and she shoved my pipe in his mouth and told him "taste this, it's really not weed"... First time swabbing a mouthpiece and draft hole with listerine.
Another time, a very pretty young lady came out of the same bar, sniffed the air, and said whatever is in my pipe smells just like what her grandpa smoked, and reminds her of when she used to sit on his lap as a child. I grinned and said "Your grandpa obviously had good taste, but are you trying to hint that you want to sit on my lap?" To my astonishment, she said "Hinting? No, that's exactly what I'm saying!"
Then she did. Then her friends came out and asked what the hell she was doing. Then my girlfriend came out... and there was much 'splainin' to do!!!
There have been a couple times that dudes have asked to "hit" my pipe. I'm just like, "Nah man, that's gross. If you really wanna try it, hmu tomorrow and I'll give you a pipe and a few blends to try, but it's not f'n grass so passing it is just weird."
I guess my point is, not all interruptions are created equal.
I've found the best etiquette, for pipes smokers or anyone else, is just:
~Don't Be A Dick~

Once, a very beautiful, very drunk girl came out of my favorite watering hole and asked if she could try my pipe. Pretty much pulled it out of my drooling mouth and stuck it right in hers. I was in the process of getting rather excited when her large, off-
Another time, a very pretty young lady came out of the same bar, sniffed the air, and said whatever is in my pipe smells just like what her grandpa smoked, and reminds her of when she used to sit on his lap as a child. I grinned and said "Your grandpa obviously had good taste, but are you trying to hint that you want to sit on my lap?" To my astonishment, she said "Hinting? No, that's exactly what I'm saying!"
Then she did. Then her friends came out and asked what the hell she was doing. Then my girlfriend came out... and there was much 'splainin' to do!!!
There have been a couple times that dudes have asked to "hit" my pipe. I'm just like, "Nah man, that's gross. If you really wanna try it, hmu tomorrow and I'll give you a pipe and a few blends to try, but it's not f'n grass so passing it is just weird."
I guess my point is, not all interruptions are created equal.
I've found the best etiquette, for pipes smokers or anyone else, is just:
~Don't Be A Dick~
Exactly, I didn’t list the great experiences I’ve had meeting people, because the post was about etiquette. But, I had a lady in New Orleans who just sat next to me and started telling me her life story. It was great, because she never expected me to speak also. I find that most people are willing to talk to someone smoking a pipe, and the best are the ones who don’t expect me to interrupt them. I actually thought it would make a great detective story. Have a detective who just sets around crime scenes smoking a pipe, and people just set down next to them and start giving away free clues.
Most pipe tobacco smells great, especially Virginias and VaPers which I get the most compliments on, so it makes sense that people would want to smell it and let their minds wonder.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The only other pipe smoker I’ve seen in public was some 18 year old tool who walked into Walmart with an unlit pipe and was clearly trying to get attention. Ticked me right off.

I’ve had people ask me to hit it, like it’s weed. People ask me what I’m smoking. People confused as to why I’m smoking tobacco. Maybe it’s the crowds I mingle with.

No one has ever been actually interested in it. I’m good with that.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
People don’t approach me very often I have been told that I do not look very friendly to dam intimidating. Most of the staff at my daughters schools are scared of me. I am not a bad guy but I guess all the scars and tattoos and beard scare people my wife says I am just a big teddy bear but what does she know. And they have never found the bodies so I am a totally nice guy

Status
Not open for further replies.