PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The pipe really doesn't matter. I use nearly every bowl shape and chamber shape and configuration for Virginias. The way you smoke them makes all the difference. Very dry and sipped slowly makes for a great Virginia smoke.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Very dry and sipped slowly...
^^^Note these two things^^^
^^^Note them again^^^
^^^Note them a third time^^^
^^^Do them with every tobacco...^^^
Dry & slowly ... Keep in mind the "D & S". Almost all challenges with pipe smoking can be alleviated through the "D & S".

techie

Jul 20, 2018
The dry part I am getting good at. The "slow" part often leads to relights, unless I am paying particular attention to light, easy, more frequent tamping. Is that about right?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sounds good. Breath smoking is also great for hot burning tobaccos like Virginias.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Relighting is normal initially if you smoke slowly. There's nothing wrong unless your pipe is getting too hot to handle. Sip the pipe slowly, enjoying the flavours. Don't allow yourself to puff like a freight train and make the pipe hot. If sipping slowly, then your pipe will often seem to be on the verge of going out; do not fear the relight. The pipe should be holdable in temperature. Use a pipe cleaner if needed during a smoke to remove any moisture. Sip slowly. If you are getting lots of moisture during smokes, the first thing to check is the DRYING of your leaf. Try drying it so it is more dry.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
If you are getting lots of moisture during smokes, the first thing to check is the DRYING of your leaf. Try drying it so it is more dry.
I have experienced this on occasion where I thought the tobacco was pretty dry, but after 1/2 to 2/3 through the bowl it was difficult to keep lit and, upon dumping, the unsmoked tobacco was very wet.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I had a bowl of MB's Navy Flake yesterday. Leaf was so dry it was practically crumbling, and I still had to relight like there was no to-morrow. As a matter of fact, I didn't finish the bowl, about 1/3 was left unsmoked, but it was getting just too harsh, and my tongue was starting to complain.
I got no real taste.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I have experienced this on occasion where I thought the tobacco was pretty dry, but after 1/2 to 2/3 through the bowl it was difficult to keep lit and, upon dumping, the unsmoked tobacco was very wet.
That sounds like condensation from smoking too fast and hot.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
That sounds like condensation from smoking too fast and hot.
Doggonit, I am determined to get this right! There seems to be this fine interplay between drying, lighting, tamping, drawing, relighting that requires finesse and conscious effort until it becomes second nature and one can sit back, relax, and enjoy a nice, carefree smoke. I think I am sipping but my bowl does get hot and I need to set it down for a few minutes and start again. Other times I have a decent, trouble free smoke and the experience is very satisfying.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've had luck using the 'pin' part of a Czech tool after I've had a bowl lit for a few puffs.

I push it right through the middle of the tobacco to the bottom, just once, allowing for air to pass through my now tightened up tobacco, which occurs due to expansion. I've typically got a bit of a pocket at the bottom and can feel the pin break through.

I've done this with a lot of types of 'cuts' and it works for me most of the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since this is the only Va/Per thread going right now, I'll mention two blends in that genre, Russ Ouellett's Fire Storm, for a full-flavored version of Va/Per/dark fired, and a milder blend of similar constituent tobaccos, C&D's Bluegrass, both highly enjoyable to me. The dark-fired adds a substantial base note in both cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.