PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Just curious...do most of you stick to a pipe rotation or do you just randomly smoke your pipes?
I always randomly pull pipes from my collection to smoke. Usually, it depends on what tobacco I'm smoking, I often choose one because it hasn't been used in a while but sometimes there's no good reason at all. I conscientiously try to keep the mileage somewhat even across the collection but not very successfully.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd think of mine as a random rotation, inasmuch as I intend to smoke all of my north-of-eighty pipes but not in a given sequence. This results in some pipes not being smoked as often despite my efforts, like my really large pipes, for reasons of time. But I do smoke around the various racks and the cabinet, and am sometimes drawn to a pipe I feel hasn't been smoked lately. That's a little lame, but it feels more spontaneous than somewhat going by the numbers or down the row of pipes.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I don’t smoke the same pipe more than once a week (cobs and meers excluded). I am still working on a long term pipe storage/display system, so I tend to have pipes all over my office/den/man cave. I do segregate pipes to genres but, as to what pipe in any one category that, is pretty random.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
It's random and the randomness depends entirely on what type of tobacco I'm in the mood for. Like many here, I tend to dedicate certain pipes for certain blends. Of the 50 or so pipes I own, I have about 10 favorites, maybe less, that get smoked on a somewhat regular basis.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I've fewer than 20 pipes and my selection is mostly random. I suppose if I knew I would smoke every day, a regular rotation would work. As an outdoor pipe smoker my smoking depends on the weather and I go days without smoking when it is windy.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I only smoke up to about 3 times a week, so selecting a pipe from my meager but perfectly serviceable collection of two cobs and three briars is informed only by the length of smoke I want and whether I want to pair my tobacco with a wood or corn. There's some logic to it, but no scheduled pattern

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Strict rotation. If I make a mistake and accidently smoke the wrong pipe on the wrong day, I feel it taints the process and I scrap the whole collection and start over. If I smoke the wrong tobacco on the wrong day, then I have to repent and sacrifice a crack whor...I mean say three hail Craig Tarler's, the patron saint of blending to atone for my sins. Yeah. Crack whores? Who said crack whores? That's silly No ones killing crack whores around here. No siree.

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
I think that the idea of having a pipe rotation and "Following" it is much to structured and methodical, well.... at least for me. The principle behind it with "No" pipe being over used and sharing the workload (so to speak) is sound, helps to lessen the chance of a pipe becoming sour or burning out, and definitely helps people just starting out in the hobby to learn the limitations of their pipe. However once you start to build your collection the basis behind the idea just kinda takes on a form of its own... Basically for myself I just grab whatever pipe catches my interest at the time.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have over a hundred pipes at this point, some in drawers, most on racks, some tucked away in places where they are like finding Easter eggs. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to which one I will pick next, or which one will be after that, and sometimes I will smoke the same pipe all day.
Same

Reactions: dcon

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Generally I pick the pipe that fancies me at the time. No rotation, just which one am I in the mood for. The exception is I have what I call a mini billiard in my go bag, its about a 15 minute smoke so its perfect for that waiting for the wife to pick me up after work smoke.

Reactions: dcon
Status
Not open for further replies.