PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So 2 pages later this seems to be a present for a friend?

is your friend a pipe smoker ? I would hope so but with the almost intensional lack of information i wouldn’t want to assume anything.

how old is your friend?

is this a special occasion gift?

a simple dunhill birth year pipe for a birthday can be a great bday gift and well under your budget, there are some very nice estate dunhills that are classic and amazing smokers.

This feels like a “paint me a picture of my great grandfather” exercise.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Whether you commission a pipe or buy one already made, you might be safer sticking with classic shapes, even if riffed upon by a talented pipe carver. Classics and variations on the theme are classic for a reason. They look handsome, well proportioned and are comfortable to smoke.

If you look through the "What Are You Smoking" threads you'll see lots of different pipes, usually with the name of the manufacture provided. That might give you some ideas to narrow your search.

At this price range I would go with the following (Although these are my choices - You must do you)

1. Right now I am into meerschaum so I would get the Altinay translucent meerschaum bamboo which I saw for sale a couple of weeks back for $ 700
2. A Scottie Piersel Pencil Shank is unique, extremely well constructed at low end of your price range
3. I was extremely into Sasieni a couple of years back - A Sasieni Eight Dot or an One Dot would fall into the higher end of your price range. Yes it’s an estate pipe but what a 100 year old estate pipe
4. I love Savinelli Giubileo D’Oros in smooth natural finish. A Giubileo D’Oro will be at the high end of your price range. I would go for a 320 KS
5. Dunhill is a wise choice - however Dunhill root (Which I love but don’t own) will be beyond your price range
6. While I am not excited by Castello, at that price range you should get a reasonably good Castello
7. If you are into Scandinavian pipes - You might be able to get an estate S Bang if you are lucky
8. There are a lot of artisans (Others have mentioned) who will provide an exceptional pipe at that price

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
There are a lot of fine carvers , but I would look at two to start, Scottie Piersel and Jack Howell. Both are superb craftspeople and great to work with. You won't find a better made, or better performing, pipe.
I second the Scottie. I have rarely paid over $100 a pipe and I’m saving up for a Scottie. Maybe she’ll even throw in a free shirt!

• Haha
Reactions: TravB

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
So 2 pages later this seems to be a present for a friend?

is your friend a pipe smoker ? I would hope so but with the almost intensional lack of information i wouldn’t want to assume anything.

how old is your friend?

is this a special occasion gift?

a simple dunhill birth year pipe for a birthday can be a great bday gift and well under your budget, there are some very nice estate dunhills that are classic and amazing smokers.

This feels like a “paint me a picture of my great grandfather” exercise.
@AJL67
I happen to know your great grandpa, great guy…here’s my attempt from when he was a little younger. I hope you enjoy the painting.

Attachments

• EAF8C1BB-B6D1-4E8F-9BAC-85EC1E429806.jpeg
    EAF8C1BB-B6D1-4E8F-9BAC-85EC1E429806.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 6

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Cavicchi pipes are about the best straight grain, drilling and construction you can get IMO as far as new production goes.
An older pipe I would recommend an unsmoked Sasieni or Charatan as they seasoned their briar better than anyone else, again, IMO.

• Love
Reactions: dunnyboy and TravB

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Follow deadmanspipes & great-estate-pipes on eBay.

They add pipes every couple days. You're sure to find a showstopper in that price range if you keep your eyes open for a couple weeks.

If you aren't extremely familiar with pipe restoration, you might have someone who is, check out the listings first, especially for his pipes in that price range that are older.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Take your time deciding on this, or discussing it with the recipient to get it right. For that money, I wouldn't try to surprise another person. One person's treasure is another's clutter.
Good advice this, we were just discussing the all black pipes the other day. If it were a special occasion and I was to wear a top hat and tails a Dunhill dress straight billiard would be my choice or any black tie event for that matter.