PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
You said you like funky - check out Bullfrog Pipes and KJ pipes (Kadesh). Beautiful and funky all in one, and right at your price range
These are some of the funkiest of Bullfrog- he does some more classic style as well.

But I agree custom is the way to go. Either one high grade carver, or 2 pipes from lesser known carvers. Sky is the limit for 6 or700 bucks
Screenshot_20220702-184437_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20220702-184522_Instagram.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@TravB

Hi, I say this out of all sincerity, no disrespect intended at all.

But, in all honesty if you are asking this kind of question, it’s not really the right question to ask, I say it’s not the right way to ask, go about this, because, when you are coughing up this kind of money, then you should know what you are dealing with.

Price doesn’t always equate to a great smoking pipe, it can sometimes just be a fancy price tag is all. Cheap pipes can smoke as great as pipes costing a lot more.

So I’m assuming, with your limited experience, you’re in a rush and want something now, and think that a fancy price tag make it special.

So when is the occasion, and do you have some time to do a little research on your own?

Read this for now;

‘The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking’, by Dr. Fred Hanna.

https://www.greatnorthernpipeclub.org/_files/ugd/17b259_acdce5ca70354ca7a5f64775f95ae600.pdf

I would never recommend anything like this to anyone, because if you are a Pipe Smoker, then something you get might turn out crap, and it’s really just a disservice to you.

Most of us on this forum are Enthusiasts, we buy particular pipes, for many reasons, but many of them, especially at these price ranges, most know what they are getting into, and they also hold some sort of value to us, unless we have deep pockets and could care less.

So if you have time, read around, look at all the pipes you see here, look at the small carvers and big companies, consider, do any you see, might have some special meaning to you? So as an example, if you have Italian blood, and strong Italian ties, it only makes sense to possibly consider an Italian pipe.

Be an educated consumer/pipe smoker, it will only serve you better in the end! ;) ❤️

P.S. Here’s a list of some names;

Alexander Hasty
Altinay
Ashton
Castello
Cavicchi
David Huber
Doctor’s
Dunhill
Former
Mark Tinsky
Mike Sebastian Bay
Peterson
Savinelli
Radice
Tom Eltang

Last edited:

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I must say this is a wonderful gesture on your part, but pipes are so personal I could not offer any recommendations because of that. One man’s punch is another man’s poison. I’ve been with my wife over 40 years and she wouldn’t know enough to buy me a pipe.

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
@TravB

Hi, I say this out of all sincerity, no disrespect intended at all.

But, in all honesty if you are asking this kind of question, it’s not really the right question to ask, I say it’s not the right way to ask, go about this, because, when you are coughing up this kind of money, then you should know what you are dealing with.

Price doesn’t always equate to a great smoking pipe, it can sometimes just be a fancy price tag is all. Cheap pipes can smoke as great as pipes costing a lot more.

So I’m assuming, with your limited experience, you’re in a rush and want something now, and think that a fancy price tag make it special.

So when is the occasion, and do you have some time to do a little research on your own?

Read this for now;

‘The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking’, by Dr. Fred Hanna.

https://www.greatnorthernpipeclub.org/_files/ugd/17b259_acdce5ca70354ca7a5f64775f95ae600.pdf

I would never recommend anything like this to anyone, because if you are a Pipe Smoker, then something you get might turn out crap, and it’s really just a disservice to you.

Most of us on this forum are Enthusiasts, we buy particular pipes, for many reasons, but many of them, especially at these price ranges, most know what they are getting into, and they also hold some sort of value to us, unless we have deep pockets and could care less.

So if you have time, read around, look at all the pipes you see here, look at the small carvers and big companies, consider, do any you see, might have some special meaning to you? So as an example, if you have Italian blood, and strong Italian ties, it only makes sense to possibly consider an Italian pipe.

Be an educated consumer/pipe smoker, it will only serve you better in the end! ;) ❤️

P.S. Here’s a list of some names;

Alexander Hasty
Altinay
Ashton
Castello
Cavicchi
David Huber
Doctor’s
Dunhill
Former
Mark Tinsky
Mike Sebastian Bay
Peterson
Savinelli
Radice
Tom Eltang

Firstly, your sincerity is felt, and I truly appreciate your feedback.

This article is very poignant, and helps me with not only this purchase for my dear friend, but my future piping adventures as well.

Thank you for the brand/artist recommendations, as well.

Again, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond/help and provide your perspective.

I love this community!

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
You said you like funky - check out Bullfrog Pipes and KJ pipes (Kadesh). Beautiful and funky all in one, and right at your price range
These are some of the funkiest of Bullfrog- he does some more classic style as well.

But I agree custom is the way to go. Either one high grade carver, or 2 pipes from lesser known carvers. Sky is the limit for 6 or700 bucks
View attachment 154634View attachment 154635
Thank you, Appalachian!

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The problem, as you can see, well, it’s like that with any goods out there, so many bloody choices... LOL

Have fun researching and let us know what you decide. :)

P.S. Not to order from, but to see a great list of some wild/fancy pipes.

Reactions: hawky454 and TravB

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
There are a lot of fine carvers , but I would look at two to start, Scottie Piersel and Jack Howell. Both are superb craftspeople and great to work with. You won't find a better made, or better performing, pipe.

If I were in the OP's situation, those would be at the top of my list.

I would add a high-end BST to the list.

Reactions: TravB

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
When I have purchased pipes I often (bit not always) got them from carvers that I knew. At the time for me the names were Peter Heeschen, Will Purdy, Rolando Negoita, Trever Tabert and Larry Roush. Trever and Larry are still in the business. I'd not hesitate to get a commission from either of them.

The pipe in my avatar us a Talbert (pic attached) that I commissioned from him when he was in Brittany France. I have a Roush Lovat with a saddle bit - also a commission - (similar to the pic attached but mine is a pre-1K pipe and those are no longer in his online gallery) that is one of the most reliably cool smoking pipes I have ever owned.

Attachments

• best-sauvage Talbert.jpg
    best-sauvage Talbert.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Roush Lovat.jpg
    Roush Lovat.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Love
Reactions: TravB and jpmcwjr

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I personally would get 2 or 3 good factory pipes for that price but I’m not one to get PAD. I only have a few artisan pipes and for the price I’d pick A good Savinelli over a craftsman pipe any day.
I was very disappointed in my commission. Should have started with Savinelli, I wouldn't be in this mess lol.