Pipe Myths

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Does anyone know how hot it gets inside a smoking bowl on average?

The only temperature numbers that I have heard come from Dan Chlevbove of Gabrielli Pipes, and, Russ Ouellette of P&C, a match burns at approximately 600 degrees, a soft-flame lighter burns at approx 800 degrees. Pine wood burn around 650 degress; whereas, Briar burns at nearly 1300 degrees. Ouellette and Chelevbove on Pipe Burn Outs

That tells us something; but, doesn't answer something I would like to know as well. - Sherm Natman
Either this thread or another one that was going at about the same time, we came up with 500-600F. You can get pine to burn below 600F. Maybe it depends on the cut, cure, and variety of pipe.

Reactions: shermnatman

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I used to use straight honey on a fingertip. I found it to create a weak and spotty cake. The cake was neither dense nor with integrity. A good cake is hard and uniform, and honey produces a cake of neither of those qualities. For a lack of a better way to describe it, a honey cake is brittle and possibly foamy under a microscope. Though, that's just a guess as to why it so readily crumbles off the bowl wall. It would easily crack off in spots and in chunks, ultimately making for a spotty cake, which I eventually realized I did not want. It took me longer than it should have to catch onto this, but then I did stop doing it. Now, I prefer to build a cake with a good, cool-burning, burley-based blend. I find Stokkebye's 41 to be great for this.

@Zeno Marx - I used to be a dedicated honey-man with my cobs; but then, I switched to AJ Maple Syrup - same technique, and found I achieved far superior results than with honey.

Next time you get a new cob, and are having waffles or pancakes for breakfast, maybe you want to give it a try. - Sherm Natman

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I can think of nothing more Freudian than either smoking a cigar or a pipe. Even more so a pipe. There are soooo many more choices one has to make subconsciously when smoking a pipe rather than a cigar.

And on this site, angst of many types gets discussed throughout the threads.
At the end of his life Freud admitted to Jung that he made up all of his theories based on the 7 Deadly sins.

made up all of his theories based on the 7 Deadly sins.
All? There was no psychiatry before Freud. Before him, there was just sticking people in prisons or punching holes in their heads. He had so many break throughs. Maybe some, but to say that all of Freud's ideas... well... then there would be no psychiatry.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
All? There was no psychiatry before Freud. Before him, there was just sticking people in prisons or punching holes in their heads. He had so many break throughs. Maybe some, but to say that all of Freud's ideas... well... then there would be no psychiatry.
His ideas about psychoanalysis and the root cause of your problems ...

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019

Yes, just because some (perhaps many) of his theories have not been supported by current evidence now that psychology has become a formalized “science” does not mean that his contributions were not incredibly important and valuable. Science is based upon hypothesis and the testing of those hypotheses whether supported or refuted does not negate their value…. They laid the framework upon which new scientific knowledge IS uncovered. Freud was a very important figure, and his work does make him in many regards the founder of psychology. His background was in traditional biology/physiology and he attempted to apply those principles to the biggest “black box” of the time….. the mind. From my understanding, his “Id, ego, and superego” theories were based upon ideas related to the rudimentary understanding of the time relating to the autonomic nervous system.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Your response sounds pretty sexual, and the innuendos about your mother are obvious. rotf

saltydog1

Lurker
Dec 2, 2022
As long as it isn’t chain smoked and given a few minutes to rest it certainly be smoked all day everyday. Pretty sure we are tend to have way way more pipes than smokers past. Most of our fathers and grandfathers that smoked had a couple pipes at most on average.
I'm a heavy smoker and I'll pick a certain pipe while I'm home for my 10 days off and wear it out smokeing all day and when I go to work for 22 days I only take 1 and it's a nording compass on a slow day itll get smoked 5/6 times I clean them after every smoke and haven't had an issue

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I´m amazed at how many websites selling churchwardens still purport this myth...
It's only a myth if it's disproven. All four of my churchwardens smoke cool and soft with no bite. Besides, I find myths are often laced with a grain of truth more meaningful than the truth framed by common consent.