12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Yep, I have had many family members who smoked one pipe all day long and once it was caked up, they’d toss it and get a new one. Cake was sort of a badge of honor on how much you smoked, and you looked forward to finishing with that pipe, so you could buy a new one. It was just the rural way to smoke a pipe.
Poor people would scrape the pipe out, because you didn’t have the means to buy a new one.
I have a theory that this behavior pattern related to pipe smoking was more prevalent pre-Internet, at a time when we had less awareness and opportunity to acquire different varieties of pipes and tobacco. It made more sense to grab a single pipe and smoke the stuffing out of it when it was pretty much like every other pipe within one's grasp.

For those who lived in small town America pre-Internet, choices were limited to whatever was carried at the local drug store. That would typically include Dr Grabow, Medico and Yello-Bole pipes, and Borkum Riff, Half and Half, Prince Albert, etc., tobacco. Our awareness of alternatives came from magazine adverts. Our purchasing alternatives aside from the drug store were mail order catalogs like Wally Frank's.

For those who lived in cities with an abundance of pipe retailers, the experience and awareness would have been quite different.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
For whatever the reason, I enjoy connecting and juxtaposing odd little sayings. Yes, I do know that the original saying is, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." But why not apply that to a pipe? People here are always arguing over pipes. And then, there is the statement from the famous painting of a pipe, "This is not a pipe." To which I amended it to say in French, "a pipe is just a pipe".

Silliness for the sake of a tired brain. But then Google had to trump me with its translation.
Je dirais que tu n'as aucune idée de quoi tu parles.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If briar doesn’t breathe, why did this old Marxman catch emphysema?

B8854ED5-F693-4FCA-AF8A-ADDBF97A752A.jpeg63844650-8A21-40C6-B4F5-3F4D46B0AB24.jpegDB948D84-2792-4F5F-B999-D3DD3D3D07F7.jpeg

That took an awful lot of smoking.

The pipe was well maintained, likely. But after maybe two years of five or six smokes a day, the more porous parts of the briar saturated.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
As I said, Rich at Briarville can have that pipe looking in tip top shape. I have seen him work wonders. The inside of that stem says there is hope for that pipe. It does need to be sanded inside and out with the bowl. The stem can be salvaged as well.

Ozone treatments will help sanitize the pipe. That's an awfully beat up Marxman. Whew.

I have a Marxman coming to me shortly. Off it will go to Rich. It's a full bend Melo-matic. It's a bit used and I normally would have passed on it but, it has some features I thought would be nice to add to my Marxmans. Now keep in mind, I only purchase NOS. This was an exception. I am going to have this pipe fully restored and then I have no idea what I will do with it.

I think @didimauw needs one, but he only wants a natural grained pipe. I don't blame him. It has that Conquistador look to it, don't you think?

Most of my NOS Marxman Pipes are in fact traditional looking pipes with a more natural finish. I might smoke this one. What do you think? I talked the gentleman down to $31. He wanted quite a bit more. For some reason, the price of Marxman Pipes is inflating WAY to much on eBay. And it seems that there are no NOS to be found.

The only Marxman Pipes I smoke are my Six Panel billiard and my Royal - which is close as I can get to a 400.

s-l1600.jpegs-l1600-1.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
As I said, Rich at Briarville can have that pipe looking in tip top shape. I have seen him work wonders. The inside of that stem says there is hope for that pipe. It does need to be sanded inside and out with the bowl. The stem can be salvaged as well.

Ozone treatments will help sanitize the pipe. That's an awfully beat up Marxman. Whew.

I have a Marxman coming to me shortly. Off it will go to Rich. It's a full bend Melo-matic. It's a bit used and I normally would have passed on it but, it has some features I thought would be nice to add to my Marxmans. Now keep in mind, I only purchase NOS. This was an exception. I am going to have this pipe fully restored and then I have no idea what I will do with it.

I think @didimauw needs one, but he only wants a natural grained pipe. I don't blame him. It has that Conquistador look to it, don't you think?

Most of my NOS Marxman Pipes are in fact traditional looking pipes with a more natural finish. I might smoke this one. What do you think? I talked the gentleman down to $31. He wanted quite a bit more. For some reason, the price of Marxman Pipes is inflating WAY to much on eBay. And it seems that there are no NOS to be found.

The only Marxman Pipes I smoke are my Six Panel billiard and my Royal - which is close as I can get to a 400.

View attachment 197407View attachment 197408
Man that looks Marxy!

Remember even a Mel-o was a $3.50 grade pipe.

You could buy a couple or three Yello Bole pipes and have money left over.

AB6B793B-8AFC-45ED-A4CC-4F5F0B38E943.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

View attachment 197407View attachment 197408
Ok that one reminds me of my Kaywoodie Rustica. I like that one.

And I can't "buy" any pipes untill January, so I have time to look around! Lol

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I know this is somewhat off topic, but in that Yello-Bole ad, they mention spraying their bowls with honey. What was the purpose of that? Does it work, or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Fo0zle

Lurker
Jan 22, 2023
Western N.C.
I know this is somewhat off topic, but in that Yello-Bole ad, they mention spraying their bowls with honey. What was the purpose of that? Does it work, or is it just a marketing gimmick?
That’s an old trick for breaking in pipes and building up carbon cake AFAIK.

Some people will rub a super thin layer of honey on a new bowl before they smoke it.

I don’t like sticky fingers so I’ve never tried it lol.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I agree that there are health risks, and that is a myth to consider pipes as a “lesser harm” type of tobacco use.

That being said, we do have a few MD types on the forum. I would be interested to hear their thoughts on the “pipes are healthier” myth.
I am a surgeon. All tobacco is bad for your health. Pipes have less exposure to carcinogens and nicotine for most smokers. This is due to less tobacco being burned and not inhaling. Of course if you smoke more and inhale all that goes out the window. Oral cancers are still high, but better than chew.

If you are going to have a surgery, quit 8 weeks before the procedure to reduce your risk of infection and other complications. The risk is significantly reduced, so I would strongly recommend it for that purpose. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Doctor Chopper

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I don't know what the formulation was, but supposedly it did contain honey. Whether it was sprayed, dipped or brushed on, it appears that it did what it was supposed to. I have Yello-Boles that still have remnants of the coating in them after decades of use. And it made for a good ad campaign and probably sold a lot of pipes.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I think that is true. It’s hard for medical professionals to make quantitative judgements without properly designed research studies.

What I’m more interested in is doctors “practice”. Namely their informed observations over time of pipe smokers. A qualitative approach based on their experience.

An example: my last dentist told me occasional use isn’t a problem. That he enjoys a cigar from time to time, and that it’s the dose that makes the poison.
Let’s not kid ourselves. Smoking any quantity is bad, and more is worse. Plenty of research has proven this. If you want studies, I can provide them. In life we all make decisions to accept risk. Driving a car is a huge risk that we accept every day as well. I smoke and know it is not good for my health. I also drive fast without a helmet on a motorcycle. I want to live life, not just get old. That is my choice, and some day I may pay the price for it.

Smokers definitely have worse outcomes with surgery and I see this often. Again, quit 8 weeks before a surgery if possible and your risk is greatly decreased.

As far as your dentist, they are usually frustrated doctors who couldn’t get into medical school. Take the advice if you want, but consider the source. Remember, the definition of an alcoholic is a person who drinks more than their physician…..

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Let’s not kid ourselves. Smoking any quantity is bad, and more is worse. Plenty of research has proven this. If you want studies, I can provide them. In life we all make decisions to accept risk. Driving a car is a huge risk that we accept every day as well. I smoke and know it is not good for my health. I also drive fast without a helmet on a motorcycle. I want to live life, not just get old. That is my choice, and some day I may pay the price for it.

Smokers definitely have worse outcomes with surgery and I see this often. Again, quit 8 weeks before a surgery if possible and your risk is greatly decreased.

As far as your dentist, they are usually frustrated doctors who couldn’t get into medical school. Take the advice if you want, but consider the source. Remember, the definition of an alcoholic is a person who drinks more than their physician…..
I appreciate your thoughts doc! I may be way off base, but the last pipe study I know of was the old 60s surgeon general report that showed 1 bowl a day for pipes appeared to have no significant difference from the control group.

I agree it is a risk, but in my mind a small one with light use compared to other tigers lurking in the bush.

What recovers in the 8 weeks prior to surgery without smoking? I imagine it’s capillary and small blood vessel tissue. Is the damage caused by nicotine or by those inhaling smoke into the lungs?

Regards,
OM

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I appreciate your thoughts doc! I may be way off base, but the last pipe study I know of was the old 60s surgeon general report that showed 1 bowl a day for pipes appeared to have no significant difference from the control group.

I agree it is a risk, but in my mind a small one with light use compared to other tigers lurking in the bush.

What recovers in the 8 weeks prior to surgery without smoking? I imagine it’s capillary and small blood vessel tissue. Is the damage caused by nicotine or by those inhaling smoke into the lungs?

Regards,
OM
OverMountain got it right!

Most studies are large population studies, and not actual prospective randomized type studies with control groups. Like I stated previously, the more you smoke and lack of inhalation are important factors making pipe smoking safer than cigarettes. The ‘significant difference’ is likely due to lack of power of the study, which is usually due to not enough people in the study, not long enough follow up, or not strong enough end points. Although low volume pipe smoking without inhalation is lower risk, there is still risk. While I don’t want to scare people, I do not think smokers should think there is a way to avoid all risk with smoking. I am not here to admonish smokers, I obviously smoke myself. The forum asked for input from physicians is the only reason I am commenting.

You are correct sir! It is the vascular problems and oxygenation / oxygen carrying capacity of blood cells that change in the 8 weeks prior to a surgery. It takes about 5 years of smoking cessation to return the cancer risk back to baseline. Perhaps the overall inflammatory response is also a factor with surgery, although I know of no specific studies on this to date.

The surgeries that really matter are joint replacement, hernia repair, and bowel surgery. Specific complications increased are infections, wound problems, anastomotic complications, delayed healing, non-union of bone, blood clots, and pneumonia. Sorry for getting technical, just want to share for those who may be dealing with some of these problems.

-Doctor Chopper

Fo0zle

Lurker
Jan 22, 2023
Western N.C.

Most studies are large population studies, and not actual prospective randomized type studies with control groups. Like I stated previously, the more you smoke and lack of inhalation are important factors making pipe smoking safer than cigarettes. The ‘significant difference’ is likely due to lack of power of the study, which is usually due to not enough people in the study, not long enough follow up, or not strong enough end points. Although low volume pipe smoking without inhalation is lower risk, there is still risk. While I don’t want to scare people, I do not think smokers should think there is a way to avoid all risk with smoking. I am not here to admonish smokers, I obviously smoke myself. The forum asked for input from physicians is the only reason I am commenting.

You are correct sir! It is the vascular problems and oxygenation / oxygen carrying capacity of blood cells that change in the 8 weeks prior to a surgery. It takes about 5 years of smoking cessation to return the cancer risk back to baseline. Perhaps the overall inflammatory response is also a factor with surgery, although I know of no specific studies on this to date.

The surgeries that really matter are joint replacement, hernia repair, and bowel surgery. Specific complications increased are infections, wound problems, anastomotic complications, delayed healing, non-union of bone, blood clots, and pneumonia. Sorry for getting technical, just want to share for those who may be dealing with some of these problems.

-Doctor Chopper
Thanks for the info doc!

You accept Cigna right?

Can you try to bill my insurance first before you send me a bill?

😆

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands

-Doctor Chopper
This is exactly what I wanted an informed opinion on. Truly, thank you Doc.

We haven’t even brought up INUS conditions yet, a pet topic 😀

If you make it through WNC. Send me a PM, would love to host an afternoon!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Actually, Freud said, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
It amazes me how his use of cocaine at a time when cocaine was in sodas and used by most like coffee is made so much of. It doesn't offset the fact that he broke the ground for an area no one else had explored. Psychology was practically non existent before Freud. Sure, his ideas were corrected and enhanced by others over the years. But, even Plato has been amended over the years.
I think it was misattributed to him. I think that statement came from a humor piece.
Also doesn't off set that cocaine actually by his admission helped him break out of his shell and communicate his ideas and discover the revolutionary at the time idea that rambling about ones problems and issues can actually be (what is the word I am looking for) therapeutic.
He certainly was a man of his times and has to be looked at in the context of the trail he blazed in the situation he found himself in.