PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I just called and Rob said he's out of new and estate Peterson's currently. He said they are very popular pipe down there ... check back again soon.
This brick and mortar had a ton of new Peterson’s a few weeks ago (see photo at link) and they also rehab estates. Probably worth a call. Real good guys.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The video mentions repairman Howard Shulte. I wonder if he is still doing business?
We had a thread here back in 2015 on Howard:
RIP Obituary for Howard M. Schulte | Higgins and Bonner Echo Lake Funeral Home - https://www.higginsandbonner.com/obituary/Howard-Schulte#obituary

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
He was a professor of Mathematics at Jersey City State College and held a second career as one of the few U.S. smoking pipe repair experts.He continued his smoking pipe repair business for many years after retiring from teaching.

After leaving New Jersey, Howard lived in Vero Beach, Florida for more than 20 years. He was an avid bowler, golfer and enjoyed spending time with friends and family. He was very proud of attaining the coveted hole in one. He was a bugle and trumpet player, beginning during his scouting years, where he rose to Eagle Scout. He was one of the world’s biggest Neil Diamond fans, exposing his family to hour after hour of his music on long car rides and family trips.

Sounds like he was a really interesting guy.

Grumpy11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Vero Beach Florida, Secretary, MD
I've found, except for the 85 per cent tax on pipe tobacco, Vero Beach is a good place for a pipe smoker to live. I mostly mail order my Peterson Flake at reasonable prices. Some nutter politicians raised those taxes years ago. Can't fix stupid.
I've bought several estate Dunhill pipes from Bob for about $100 each. Most of my new Castello's come from the Pipe Den.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I've found, except for the 85 per cent tax on pipe tobacco, Vero Beach is a good place for a pipe smoker to live. I mostly mail order my Peterson Flake at reasonable prices. Some nutter politicians raised those taxes years ago. Can't fix stupid.
I've bought several estate Dunhill pipes from Bob for about $100 each. Most of my new Castello's come from the Pipe Den.
I love quality estate pipes such as Dunhill and Castello because there’s no hesitancy to actually smoke them like I feel with a new pipe. You just can’t beat the draw and flavor. My preferred tobacco right now is 1/2 a bowl of 4th Generation 1931 flake topped with 1/2 a bowl of Rum Flake. Kind of like Orlik Golden Sliced on steroids. It’s sublime.

Last edited:
Reactions: AroEnglish