PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Send it to Walker Briar, he is the best at stem repair. That is too nice a pipe to be try home made repairs to the stem. Call him and get a quote. He has repaired several stems for me and his prices are reasonable.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
David if you put a thick coating of Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) over the entire outside of the stem it will be entirely protected, including any logos/writing.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
Heres someething you can try,,get about a 3 foot piece of fishing line about 20 pd test and see if you can thread it through the bit. If it will pass threw, tie one end of the line to something to secure it. Then tie several knots in the line along its lenth. Now slide the bit up and down along the line,,if the cleaner has been wet and in that bit for so long,its got to be rusted,corroded and ready to fall apart. The idea is as the knots go threw the bit it will pull it out in pieces untill with luck,it all comes out. Just an idea. and free of cost to try.

mealston

Lurker
Mar 18, 2013
The fishing line is a sound approach. I would pick up some florist wire (spooled thin green wire)...having worked w/lucite in the past, I would fashion a fish hook w/the wire. You could also fashion a spiral screw w/the wire and twist it into the stem. If it takes hold, then you might be lucky enough to pull taught and create a chinese prison and yank it right on out. I love problems like this, but I would shy away from the bleach approach. I would hesitate from using chemical removal except as a last resort (read ditch effort; lost cause abandon)

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
none are pros, who have come up with all these foolproof suggestions, guarantee all will work 150%.

no one as yet has suggested a pneumatic drill that drills out sidewalks - ...
CALL WALKER or ask him who he recommends - he also has a pro inhouse on his website.

http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/
they have always been straight in the past to members on this website.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
How did this thread resurface? Until nine minutes ago the latest post was a year old.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
How did this thread resurface? Until nine minutes ago the latest post was a year old.
Just some classic necroposting, but, come on, don't you want to know how this turns out?!!?

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Dribble some high proof alcohol into the stem until the pipe cleaner is good and moist. set the pipe cleaner on fire to burn off the fluff. Then just push the wire out with another thicker wire.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
Vinegar, put a few drops of vinegar into the stem... let the vinegar disolve the pipe cleaner's metal..
I don't think vinegar will harm lucite...
Mike B

Mar 1, 2014
If the stem got a pipe cleaner stuck in it I would have sent it back to the manufacturer. With a restriction like that it probably would have been a horrible smoker anyway.

I can't even imagine how a stem could do that in the first place, there would have to be some sort of "V" notch or a 360 degree spiral in the middle of the airway.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
First thought on reading the subject line: you must have bought a pipe from banjobob see here.
But on seeing the photo, they use almost exactly that system on the in-home water and gas meters in my town. The meters are in the basement but have a little wire run through and around them that is almost identical to the one in the photo and secured with the same style seal to ensure the occupants haven't tampered with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.