[sticky]

Pipe cleaner stuck in short curved bit

(26 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by banjobob
  • Latest reply from flintlockjohn
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

banjobob

Login to Send PM

27 years ago I bought a gorgeous Mauro Armellini freehand.
    After smoking it a time or two I tried a pipe cleaner.
    I got it through the short curved hand cut lucite bit,
    but it wouldn't come out.
    It eventually broke off on both ends of the bit.
    Many years later I soaked it in dish soap and tried off and on for months to blow it out w/ air pressure,
    I tried for over a year w/ it soaking the entire year, no luck.
    I paid a fortune for this pipe and only got to smoke it that one day in 1984.
    Could I heat it, straighten the bit and drill it out? Then bend it back?
    I've done this w/ Vulcanite, but I'm afraid I'll damage the lucite if I heat it.
    BanjoBob

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. billinsfl

billinsfl

Login to Send PM

Banjo just send the pipe to Ronnie Bikascan in Nashville, TN (Night Owl Pipe Works) or any other professional repairman. Should cost you no more than $20 for the repair, and you won't have to worry about screwing up a nice pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. oakbear

oakbear

Login to Send PM

^This!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd send it out. If it won't pass a pipe cleaner this stem needs to be straightened and opened up and re-bent.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's been a pipe cleaner stuck in that pipe for 28 years?

Holy cow... Definately send that to a professional.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

send that to a professional.

^^^ +1 ^^^

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. group4

group4

Login to Send PM

...or just have another stem made for the pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. aussielass

aussielass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it was me, I'd take a needle & syringe filled with some olive or vegetable oil, put the needle in at both ends and get as much oil as I could in there, then take a pair of pliars and twist whilst gently pulling.

Stats: Female "Proud Pretty Pipe" Smoker, lover of all things aromatic, especially mens' armpits!
    Technophobic fool who can't work out how to invite friends, so if you want to be mates with moi, you'll need to do the legwork involved, but only if you have a great SOH and don't dump on others!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. bailey331

bailey331

Login to Send PM

I would get rid of it. Flat out get rid of it. Hang on and I'll PM you my address. Just ship it to me and get past it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. deyro

deyro

Login to Send PM

I've got one stuck in bakelite stem. I'm soaking it in bleach, which is corroding away the the metal in the cleaner. I've found that extended stays in bleach doesn't hurt bakelite, but I'm not sure what it would do to lucite.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am with everyone send it to a pro

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pro pro problem if you try it yourself. Lucite has to be heated slowly and evenly so you don't have a melt down...say can we see some pics of this, and the pipe? If you have held onto it this long it must be beautiful.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

banjobob

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

banjobob

Login to Send PM

I bought this from a pipe shop owner who claimed Mauro made it just for him at a time in the 70's which he claimed was before Mauro made freehand pipes.
    It's stamped Mauro Armellini Symposeum and it's a hand made freehand.
    The bit says "Hand Cut"

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No messing around, send it to a pro. Really.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. shawn

shawn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

New bit for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

banjobob

Login to Send PM

A new bit would seriously downgrade the pipe.
    It has the Armellini pearl dot plus it says "Hand Cut" on the bit in white letters.
    The pros I've seen advertised said they weren't responsible for damages to lucite bits.
    I think I paid around $300 for this 28 years ago, so I'd hate to have an oopsie.
    When the pipe cleaner was still sticking out both ends I squirted oil in it and gently tugged on the pipe cleaner until I'd broken it off from each end of the bit.
    If I can't figure a safe way, I might just put it on eBay and explain that it has a pipe cleaner stuck in the bit.
    I'm sure some collector would THINK they were more clever than me and it shouldn't be that much of a problem.
    I even soaked it for months and tried to blow it out using 200# air pressure with no effect.
    I'd guess that if I did sell it as it is, someone would probably get it out easily and then think I was a real boob for not using their simple technique. That's something that happens to me a LOT! Hah!
    David

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. oakbear

oakbear

Login to Send PM

Gorgeous pipe! I'd have a shot on ebay if it was cheap enough, but still send it to a pro and take a gamble...

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. aussielass

aussielass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Would soaking the stem in really hot water, or even boiling it do anything rather than perhaps cause it to expand a little so it could be pushed through with another perhaps, just so's you can grab the end of the old pipe cleaner you broke off?

Then I just read on another forum that plain old water & an opened up glider clip worked for someone.

Also found this on another forum, makes sense that the bleach would dissolve enough of the wire to be pushed through ...

"If you have the patience, clean the mouthpiece well with alcohol. Next coat all exterior surface with vaseline or some other protective coating. Then put the entire mouthpice in a bowl of chlorine laundry bleach full-strength. Clorox is fine, or anything similar.

You may need to probe into each end of the mouthpiece with a fresh pipe cleaner a couple of times a day to try to remove anything dissolved and keep fresh bleach going in.

This will eventually dissolve the pipe cleaner, metal (first) and cotton as well. It make take days, though, depending on how well the bleach flows in and around the cleaner in the channel.

I emphasize carefully cleaning and coating the exterior of the mouthpiece, as exposure of that to the bleach will let the bleach eat that away too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

banjobob

Login to Send PM

I think I'll see if Wifey has any bleach.
    I'd guess the only damage might be to the white lettering that says "hand cut"
    since the bit itself is made of lucite (I think)
    Bleach is something that might not be here because Wifey has been on a totally
    non-toxic/organic/green campaign for the last 20 years.
    Thank you for the tips,
    I'll update if a cure happens.
    I suspect that even if I get it out the bore of the bit will need to be enlarged
    so a pipe cleaner can fit through it ... or just sell it before I make the same mistake again.
    David

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Send it to Walker Briar, he is the best at stem repair. That is too nice a pipe to be try home made repairs to the stem. Call him and get a quote. He has repaired several stems for me and his prices are reasonable.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. aussielass

aussielass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

David if you put a thick coating of Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) over the entire outside of the stem it will be entirely protected, including any logos/writing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. mikenickerson

mikenickerson

Login to Send PM

So whats the news on your pipe have you fixed the problem yet?

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

Heres someething you can try,,get about a 3 foot piece of fishing line about 20 pd test and see if you can thread it through the bit. If it will pass threw, tie one end of the line to something to secure it. Then tie several knots in the line along its lenth. Now slide the bit up and down along the line,,if the cleaner has been wet and in that bit for so long,its got to be rusted,corroded and ready to fall apart. The idea is as the knots go threw the bit it will pull it out in pieces untill with luck,it all comes out. Just an idea. and free of cost to try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mealston

mealston

Login to Send PM

The fishing line is a sound approach. I would pick up some florist wire (spooled thin green wire)...having worked w/lucite in the past, I would fashion a fish hook w/the wire. You could also fashion a spiral screw w/the wire and twist it into the stem. If it takes hold, then you might be lucky enough to pull taught and create a chinese prison and yank it right on out. I love problems like this, but I would shy away from the bleach approach. I would hesitate from using chemical removal except as a last resort (read ditch effort; lost cause abandon)

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did he ever get the pipe cleaner out? The suspense is killing me.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tekinmeerschaum, dottiewarden, soymilkisgood, newbroom, insecticide26