PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
27 years ago I bought a gorgeous Mauro Armellini freehand.

After smoking it a time or two I tried a pipe cleaner.

I got it through the short curved hand cut lucite bit,

but it wouldn't come out.

It eventually broke off on both ends of the bit.

Many years later I soaked it in dish soap and tried off and on for months to blow it out w/ air pressure,

I tried for over a year w/ it soaking the entire year, no luck.

I paid a fortune for this pipe and only got to smoke it that one day in 1984.

Could I heat it, straighten the bit and drill it out? Then bend it back?

I've done this w/ Vulcanite, but I'm afraid I'll damage the lucite if I heat it.

BanjoBob

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Banjo just send the pipe to Ronnie Bikascan in Nashville, TN (Night Owl Pipe Works) or any other professional repairman. Should cost you no more than $20 for the repair, and you won't have to worry about screwing up a nice pipe.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd send it out. If it won't pass a pipe cleaner this stem needs to be straightened and opened up and re-bent.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
There's been a pipe cleaner stuck in that pipe for 28 years?
Holy cow... Definately send that to a professional.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
If it was me, I'd take a needle & syringe filled with some olive or vegetable oil, put the needle in at both ends and get as much oil as I could in there, then take a pair of pliars and twist whilst gently pulling.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I would get rid of it. Flat out get rid of it. Hang on and I'll PM you my address. Just ship it to me and get past it.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I've got one stuck in bakelite stem. I'm soaking it in bleach, which is corroding away the the metal in the cleaner. I've found that extended stays in bleach doesn't hurt bakelite, but I'm not sure what it would do to lucite.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Pro pro problem if you try it yourself. Lucite has to be heated slowly and evenly so you don't have a melt down...say can we see some pics of this, and the pipe? If you have held onto it this long it must be beautiful.

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
IMG_14551024x768.jpg

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
I bought this from a pipe shop owner who claimed Mauro made it just for him at a time in the 70's which he claimed was before Mauro made freehand pipes.

It's stamped Mauro Armellini Symposeum and it's a hand made freehand.

The bit says "Hand Cut"

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
A new bit would seriously downgrade the pipe.

It has the Armellini pearl dot plus it says "Hand Cut" on the bit in white letters.

The pros I've seen advertised said they weren't responsible for damages to lucite bits.

I think I paid around $300 for this 28 years ago, so I'd hate to have an oopsie.

When the pipe cleaner was still sticking out both ends I squirted oil in it and gently tugged on the pipe cleaner until I'd broken it off from each end of the bit.

If I can't figure a safe way, I might just put it on eBay and explain that it has a pipe cleaner stuck in the bit.

I'm sure some collector would THINK they were more clever than me and it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I even soaked it for months and tried to blow it out using 200# air pressure with no effect.

I'd guess that if I did sell it as it is, someone would probably get it out easily and then think I was a real boob for not using their simple technique. That's something that happens to me a LOT! Hah!

David

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
Gorgeous pipe! I'd have a shot on ebay if it was cheap enough, but still send it to a pro and take a gamble...

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Would soaking the stem in really hot water, or even boiling it do anything rather than perhaps cause it to expand a little so it could be pushed through with another perhaps, just so's you can grab the end of the old pipe cleaner you broke off?
Then I just read on another forum that plain old water & an opened up glider clip worked for someone.
Also found this on another forum, makes sense that the bleach would dissolve enough of the wire to be pushed through ...
"If you have the patience, clean the mouthpiece well with alcohol. Next coat all exterior surface with vaseline or some other protective coating. Then put the entire mouthpice in a bowl of chlorine laundry bleach full-strength. Clorox is fine, or anything similar.
You may need to probe into each end of the mouthpiece with a fresh pipe cleaner a couple of times a day to try to remove anything dissolved and keep fresh bleach going in.
This will eventually dissolve the pipe cleaner, metal (first) and cotton as well. It make take days, though, depending on how well the bleach flows in and around the cleaner in the channel.
I emphasize carefully cleaning and coating the exterior of the mouthpiece, as exposure of that to the bleach will let the bleach eat that away too.

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
I think I'll see if Wifey has any bleach.

I'd guess the only damage might be to the white lettering that says "hand cut"

since the bit itself is made of lucite (I think)

Bleach is something that might not be here because Wifey has been on a totally

non-toxic/organic/green campaign for the last 20 years.

Thank you for the tips,

I'll update if a cure happens.

I suspect that even if I get it out the bore of the bit will need to be enlarged

so a pipe cleaner can fit through it ... or just sell it before I make the same mistake again.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.