Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I were to go for a buffer, I'd follow tbrad's example with the shoe buffer. I like to hand polish my pipes with a bandana or jeweler's cloth (courtesy of a Forums member). Since I have a rotation that goes for months, my pipes lead an easy life, and I'd rather give them a little personal attention and let some age show. I don't miss the new pipe look and favor a little wear showing.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Why is there so much fear and loathing associated with buffers? I give my personal briar pipes and pretty much every knife handle I make at least a once-over with some pink no-scratch followed with some pure carnauba and a touch of olive oil. I’ve never had an issue, and it’s a quick way to bring out the character of the grain on briar and burl pieces. Works great on micarta and buffalo horn also. I wouldn’t put soft woods on a buffer, but briar can take it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Why is there so much fear and loathing associated with buffers? I give my personal briar pipes and pretty much every knife handle I make at least a once-over with some pink no-scratch followed with some pure carnauba and a touch of olive oil. I’ve never had an issue, and it’s a quick way to bring out the character of the grain on briar and burl pieces. Works great on micarta and buffalo horn also. I wouldn’t put soft woods on a buffer, but briar can take it.
There is definitely a learning curve. As a knife maker, you honed your skills on the buffer, and there was application to pipes for those same skill sets. I cut my buffing teeth by polishing metal (which requires high speed/high horsepower motors), so guessing buffing motorcyle parts or knife parts is pretty similar. Personally, in ten years, I've never launched a pipe (but I don't use my metal polishing machine!) - now knocking on wood!

A low speed buffer, by my experience, won't create a much better result than hand polishing. So, I'd save your money if you don't want to make the right investment. (and if you creative, that investment can be relatively modest).

Micromesh is great,and I use it on every pipe stem that I restore. But, even using the the highest grades, that alone won't get this level of shine as a buffer with white diamond and plastic polish yields.

Attachments

• Sasieni_Putney_Before (2).JPG
    Sasieni_Putney_Before (2).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Sasieni_Putney_FIN_07.JPG
    Sasieni_Putney_FIN_07.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I converted a bench grinder to a buffer, just by purchasing the buffing pads (6"). However I'm not sure how much they cost these days. And I've never hurt or flung a pipe before. I have launched a very small bead I was making, but after that I learned.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I've never launched a pipe (but I don't use my metal polishing machine!) - now knocking on wood!
Oh, ok, I gotcha. I misunderstood. I thought people were scared it’d ruin the finish or something.
You’re right. A buffer will immediately snatch anything that isn’t presented to it properly. No margin of error with knives, you have to be extremely careful and deliberate with your actions. There was a maker in Alaska that unfortunately was killed by his buffer.
Corners and edges should always be presented such that the wheel sweeps off the edge and not into it, if that makes sense.
The buffer is extremely useful, but it is the most dangerous tool in my shop when combined with sharp objects.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A low speed buffer, by my experience, won't create a much better result than hand polishing. So, I'd save your money if you don't want to make the right investment. (and if you creative, that investment can be relatively modest).
what speed is your buffer?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why is there so much fear and loathing associated with buffers?
What fear and loathing? I used buffers daily for a decade on all manner of fine and rare pieces of jewelry, the oldest being mid 18th century. The problem isn't the buffer, it's the dumb clueless yahoo misusing it. I loath the dumb clueless yahoo.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Why is there so much fear and loathing associated with buffers?.

None. But just remember back when you were first learning to use one. Much about using them is counter intuitive! Lighter pressure equals higher shine. It's like detailing a car - it seems like simple task but use the wrong compound, wrong disk and pressure and you can scratch the paint, not polish it. Personally I think it's something every pipe collector should have but Brob's and Sable's words of caution are true. If you are new to them there will be errors. It's easy to cut through stain, round out stem and shank faces. Ideally you need variable speeds and at least 4 wheels. One guy I work with has 7 wheels on his lathe for buffing. One of my favorite Upshall's has a 20 year old scar on it from learning but I still love that pipe. So no fear, just caution. My advice to the new is if you are going to go into it do it right.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.