PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed400

Lurker
Oct 4, 2017
Does a cheap pipe make room note bad ?, and does good pipe make the room note pleasant ?
and does the pipe affect the taste of the tobacco ?
whats the best pipe to smoke from if it affect the room note ?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Slow down cowboy :)
Does a cheap pipe make room note bad ?
Are we talking about the sewer pipes?
and does good pipe make the room note pleasant ?
A smoking pipe is a tool to burn your tobacco and smoke it. Quality of a pipe (as well as its shape, material, shank diameter, etc.) can affect, sometimes even can alter the taste of a pipe tobacco however it is going to be so minor you (or any other beginner) won't even notice that. Regarding the room note, no.
whats the best pipe to smoke from if it affect the room note ?
The pipe you own.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
ahmed400
Most of your questions were asked about the quality of the pipe. The short answer is just smoke the pipe you own. Almost any briar pipe will smoke reasonably well, but of course better quality pipes might give you a better smoking experience. Corn Cob pipes are said to give great smoking pleasure, as do some lower-priced briar pipes. Don't worry too much about the pipe. Room note comes from what tobaccos you smoke.
Tobacco blends and room note....Cheaper blends are usually, but not always, aromatics, and have a very pleasant room note. The wife, and others-who-must-be-pleased usually like soft-smelling tobaccos, and will probably not like the smoke from blends containing Latakia, cigar leaf, etc. Many think both of these tobaccos are very unpleasant to sniff. There are also straight tobacco blends that produce a very pleasant room note and without all the fake flavorings, and toppings.
BTW...."Tobacco Reviews" has "room note" ratings for most tobacco blends. A good place to start looking for blends with pleasant room notes.
Have fun pipe-smoking. I like your enthusiasm...and do try to find a blend that pleases YOU... as well as others. You will find it.
Happy hunting.
Frank

I have had a Peterson that made everything I smoked in it taste awful. It had a green woody taste. I also have a Nording Valhalla that my wife complains about the smell every time I smoke it, no matter what I smoke in it, but I don't smell it while smoking it. I also notice that some of my pipes enhance the flavor of the tobacco for certain blends, and other pipes I think enhances the rest.
In a one word answer, no/yes, I don't think it's the "quality" of the pipes from an engineering perspective, but the "quality" of the briar used.
We get so used to the aroma of warm briar as pipe smokers that we don't notice it any more. But, yes it does add a significant flavor, IMO. Just as the flavor of a cigar touching the lips adds that special cigar flavor to the experience that we miss when using our pipes to smoke cigar leaf, plus the aroma of the briar is added in.
It's always interesting, in the past when I have posted about this, so many guys never noticed the aromas of the briar before. To me, it is what adds that "pipey" smell to the smoke. You don't get that from any other method of using tobacco. But, YMMV.
Does that help?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
It's always interesting, in the past when I have posted about this, so many guys never noticed the aromas of the briar before. To me, it is what adds that "pipey" smell to the smoke. You don't get that from any other method of using tobacco. But, YMMV.
Totally agree with this one.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
As the one who loves and appreciates the aroma of the briar, I love my MM cobs more than my briars. Nothing can replace the taste of the Royal Yacht in an MM Diplomat 5th Ave.

That is exactly why I don't like cobs. I grow the crap. They constantly remind me of that underlying fragrance of the field, the rotting stalks, the trucks, silo, the combines, the way my boots smell after walking the field. And, it's not a good smell to me. It's not like fresh popcorn or cornbread, but like the part that is inedible and disgusting.
I keep a few cobs on hand. But, I never enjoy them or have the same passion about smoking them, like other guys seem to do.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
As the one who loves and appreciates the aroma of the briar, I love my MM cobs more than my briars. Nothing can replace the taste of the Royal Yacht in an MM Diplomat 5th Ave.
Strange thing when you right Magnum Opus it comes up like Royal Yacht. Very strange keyboard problem you have there :)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
They constantly remind me of that underlying fragrance of the field, the rotting stalks, the trucks, silo, the combines, the way my boots smell after walking the field.
Are you sure you were smoking tobacco? :)
Strange thing when you right Magnum Opus it comes up like Royal Yacht. Very strange keyboard problem you have there :)
OK, we have a new blend fan!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"so many guys never noticed the aromas of the briar before."
Perhaps that is down to cake in the bowl? No matter how thin, I would imagine any amount of cake would inhibit any alleged briar 'flavours' coming through into the smoke.
But then I've only smoked a pipe for two years so am still effectively a newbie.
Regards,
Jay.

I think it is linked to the room note effect. Can a fish smell the water? What does oxygen smell like? Why is it that you can only smell your house when you have returned from being gone for a long time? Do my neighbors not realize that their house stinks? We are acclimated to the aromas.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Just dont go there :)

Any minute now someone will mention about smelling your own breath or fart or whatever and here we go :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Any minute now someone will mention about smelling your own breath or fart or whatever and here we go"
Actually I have often wondered why one's own farts never smell nearly as offensive as those of everyone else :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.