PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
What did I miss? Is it just this blend going on the chopping block? I’ve still never tried any of his blends, I am just a bit turned off that he’s not a pipe smoker himself but I know y’all love his shite, so he must be doing something right. Dunno how to pronounce most of the names of his blends either but I do have a tin of that picante stuff you keep talking bout. Might just hold on to it and sell it when it’s valuable. ;)

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Here's my armchair guess at recreating the blend.

The component list according to tobacco reviews:
- St James perique
- Samson oriental
- Air cured dark burley
- Flue cured gold leaf VA

Most reviewers including @jiminks are saying the burley is actually dark fired burley/kentucky rather than air cured burley. That would certainly change the flavor profile if true but would account for the intense pepper level (aside from the perique). Flue cured gold leaf is a bit vague, but flue cured blonde VA would probably be in the ball park.

As far as figuring out the ratios you'll need to do some dissection of the blend itself. Maybe pour out a half ounce on a table and start separating the ribbons by leaf type. That should give you an approximate ratio of each component.

The exact style of perique might be tricky. Standard St James might be all you need; however given the various types of perique that D&R have sold in the past there might be some variation there (Belmont, Grand Point, Paulina, S Vacherie)

I doubt there's any topping on the blend but likely some casing on the VA (sugar, maybe citrus). Any air cured burley would also have casing, but if it's truely dark fired then it wouldn't.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Here's my armchair guess at recreating the blend.

The component list according to tobacco reviews:
- St James perique
- Samson oriental
- Air cured dark burley
- Flue cured gold leaf VA

Most reviewers including @jiminks are saying the burley is actually dark fired burley/kentucky rather than air cured burley. That would certainly change the flavor profile if true but would account for the intense pepper level (aside from the perique). Flue cured gold leaf is a bit vague, but flue cured blonde VA would probably be in the ball park.

As far as figuring out the ratios you'll need to do some dissection of the blend itself. Maybe pour out a half ounce on a table and start separating the ribbons by leaf type. That should give you an approximate ratio of each component.

The exact style of perique might be tricky. Standard St James might be all you need; however given the various types of perique that D&R have sold in the past there might be some variation there (Belmont, Grand Point, Paulina, S Vacherie)

I doubt there's any topping on the blend but likely some casing on the VA (sugar, maybe citrus). Any air cured burley would also have casing, but if it's truely dark fired then it wouldn't.

Thanks, logs.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Citrus huh? Maybe I do taste citrus.

Could be. Citric acid is a commonly used on raw VA leaf. If you buy from Whole Leaf Tobacco for example, they sell a small squirt bottle of VA casing that is citrus based. (I have some but haven't tried it yet). But there are other methods of casing (honey, cane sugar, etc). It wouldn't have a huge effect on the overall blend but would balance out the unprocessed VA and kill any acrid flavors. That's only if you decide to buy whole leaf though. If you go with any of the ribbon cut blending tobaccos from Sutliff or C&D then you won't need to do casing. That stuff will already be cased. The raw leaf method gives you more control though.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Could be. Citric acid is a commonly used on raw VA leaf. If you buy from Whole Leaf Tobacco for example, they sell a small squirt bottle of VA casing that is citrus based. (I have some but haven't tried it yet). But there are other methods of casing (honey, cane sugar, etc). It wouldn't have a huge effect on the overall blend but would balance out the unprocessed VA and kill any acrid flavors. That's only if you decide to buy whole leaf though. If you go with any of the ribbon cut blending tobaccos from Sutliff or C&D then you won't need to do casing. That stuff will already be cased. The raw leaf method gives you more control though.
@logs makin ropes:
3eqC.gif

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I tried this a couple of times but I just could never get tobacco all dente!

Seriously though, those pucks look amazing. Kudos to you!

Did you try heating the tobacco immediately prior to pressing? I found that once you have sufficient pressure, heat was the most important variable in achieving a totally fused, solid puck. Mine usually come to 3/4” thick by 2” diameter for a 2oz puck. Comparing ounces per cubic inch that is more dense than Salty Dogs. These are just under 3/4” tall and 2 oz each:

29F3E4D5-7F95-4806-AA00-C174A4FC2D88.jpeg

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Did you try heating the tobacco immediately prior to pressing? I found that once you have sufficient pressure, heat was the most important variable in achieving a totally fused, solid puck. Mine usually come to 3/4” thick by 2” diameter for a 2oz puck. Comparing ounces per cubic inch that is more dense than Salty Dogs. These are just under 3/4” tall and 2 oz each:
I actually haven’t ever tried pressing tobacco but it looks intriguing. One question— do you press these in order to then cellar them? Or do you start smoking them right out of the press? And if so, is there a big difference in the smoke?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I actually haven’t ever tried pressing tobacco but it looks intriguing. One question— do you press these in order to then cellar them? Or do you start smoking them right out of the press? And if so, is there a big difference in the smoke?
I do both. However, I have mainly now gone in direction of pressing my individual blending components and letting sit for a month or so before processing and blending. Eg. I have found a mix of Virginia’s that I like and use this for the va portion in any blends, as well as smoking straight.