PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Y'all are a grumpy bunch. I find common mispronunciations amusing, not annoying. I'm not originally from Australia so I love hearing what they call Occa Australian with it's strange and unusual sayings and pronunciations.

I also find it amusing that @cosmicfolklore often uses 'setting' instead of 'sitting'. It conjures up the idea of sitting in a very relaxed manner.

In my household mispronunciations simply become part of the language. For example, we use 'blankent' instead of 'blanket' because my daughter used to pronounce it like that. Another example is 'undiewear' for 'underwear'.

My son used to forget to pronounce the 's' or 'sch' in words, so 'school' became 'cool' and 'special' became 'pecial'. I think for a while he simply didn't hear those sounds. We frequently still pronounce words that way (well my wife does to her own great amusement).

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Among most hated sounds: aspiring one's "t's". Be--er, advan-age, win-er... AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!
That’s common here in NE Ohio to drop the “t” in some places. Not in the Cockney way...but yeah, winter is winner around here. Also the City of Mentor is NOT pronounced Men-Tor but Menner. You can always spot people from out of town by how they pronounce it. We also have Mantua...that’s pronounced “Man-Away.”

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I've meet enough freaks i.e. people. That I find it harder and harder to be annoyed by mispronunciations. In fact the guy I work with who sometimes talks about the covis virus entertains and bemuses me. I don't know if he thinks that's how it's pronounced or if it's his own intentional term for it. I really don't know. But I get less and less bothered about that. I honestly think it's my girlfriends fault. She's great but she is really stubborn about things. If I point out that a word is actually pronounced one way, she will not accept that. Seriously it is like if the CIA tortured you with hot sauce for years and now you find ghost peppers to have a mild tang.
Some mispronunciations are amusing and acceptable. I know an old hillbilly type who works at a state park and is really proud of the “pervillium” he built at the picnic grounds. I call pavilions per-vill-ee-ums now. Some words and things just grate though.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
In the states, many pronunciations of words are regionally-based. In my part of the Northeast we said crick (and it was specifically descriptive). A crick was smaller than a creek (just a little trickling thing) and a creek was smaller than a stream and a stream was smaller than a river. Although a creek could also be considered a stream. But most often not.

And many families from Western NY said "warsh" instead of wash. And we made fun of them (as if they were hillbillies). Those things are handed down via family generations.

For pecans? We said pee-cans and not puh cons. We thought that puh-cans was a southern thing and/or spoken by rich snobby folks.

And we still have the valley girl crap where people use the word "like" in every other word in a sentence. "So like I was driving my car, and like, this guy looks at me, and like, he like totally creeped me out, like."

"Totally." "Totally-like."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.