PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a handsome pipe, but I prefer various other pipes, including the Peterson B11 bent brandy that I just wrote about on another thread (I own two), and the Savinelli churchwarden 601 mentioned earlier in this thread, that I'm smoking in my avatar to the left.

I tend to prefer pipes where the stem is sized to the shank to provide an even visual flow. However, if my wife gifted me with this bard pipe, I'm sure I would grow to favor it.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Has anyone thought to fit a regular army stem onto this? I think this pipe would be great doing double duty in that way.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks for sharing! I’ve got a friend who is our local "bard." I’m thinking about getting one of these now to give to him on his 40th birthday next year.

This is a one time release, right? Or will they be making more of these?
When the Bard was released last year, there were only three shapes, the 03, 68 & 221. SP has two Bards in stock, both 221's. Are you looking specifically for a 68?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
When the Bard was released last year, there were only three shapes, the 03, 68 & 221. SP has two Bards in stock, both 221's. Are you looking specifically for a 68?
I was looking for the 68 but I see that Europe got the 69 which I might opt for. I personally like the 221 shape the best but I’m trying to get the largest bowl as I think that’s what my friend would enjoy.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
One more question for you guys that have the rusticated: Is the rusticated Bard pretty much like the Derry series except with a different stem?

I’m really liking the light brown rustication (seems like it’s also the same as the 2023 SPD rusticated), more so than the redish brown color on the rusticated systems.

Reactions: Nevaditude

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
One more question for you guys that have the rusticated: Is the rusticated Bard pretty much like the Derry series except with a different stem?

I’m really liking the light brown rustication (seems like it’s also the same as the 2023 SPD rusticated), more so than the redish brown color on the rusticated systems.
Derry 338

Bottom
Bard 68

Pic taken with flash. Very similar in color. Hope this helps.
IMG_20230314_204543.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Derry 338

Bottom
Bard 68

Pic taken with flash. Very similar in color. Hope this helps.
View attachment 209552
Yes, this is so helpful! They looks pretty much the same as far as stain goes. Since I probably should not buy another pipe for myself I’ll go ahead and get the Bard for my friend first. If the bards are still around by the time I go to purchase my next pipe I’ll grab one, otherwise I’ll grab a Derry. Either way, I’ll want to get a normal length black army mount stem made for the pipe.

Reactions: scloyd

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I wouldn't say ugly. Just not my type.
The Bard specifically or the rustication in general? I thought the rustication was awful when I first saw it even though I thought it looked leagues better than the zig-zag, pineapple, etc. rustications of the past. Now though they have really grown on me as they look like tough rocks and pair well with the army mounts, especially in non-systems or spigot systems.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I wanted one bad but they weren't available. I just bought 2 other petes this month. But now my PAD money is gone. 😢

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I believe there is one on SP.eu now but filtered ... you could buy the adapter too ... I was looking at it yesterday ... it had nice dimensions compared to others.
Sadly they only have the 221 and 03 shapes. But also I think the EU was only offered the 69 while the US was offered the 68 but I have no idea why.