PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The Peterson Bard became available today.

Peterson's Bard series derives its name from the borrowed Irish word for poet and oral storyteller, and it comprises a range of rare demi-Churchwarden designs that honor the historic tavern pipes once smoked by countless storytellers across Europe's public houses.

I stayed up late last night watching NBA playoffs and ordered this Bard 68 Rusticated before going to bed. With the VIP Bronze 5% off, it was only $91.20
1650346118921.png
  • Length: 7.12 in./180.85 mm.
  • Weight: 2.20 oz./62.37 g.
  • Bowl Height: 1.94 in./49.28 mm.
  • Chamber Depth: 1.46 in./37.08 mm.
  • Chamber Diameter: 0.81 in./20.57 mm.
  • Outside Diameter: 1.66 in./42.16 mm.

There will be those that say the Bard is ugly and they won't buy it. Others, will like it and add to their collection.

Whether you like it or not, what are your thoughts about the Bard?

Last edited:

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I like it! I don't think I'd buy one, though. I have pretty much got my main smokers, and the next pipe I get will have to be something that wows me. However, if my PAD kicks in again, I would consider one of these:)

Reactions: jpmcwjr and scloyd

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
I did not hold one but why am I under the impression that the stem shape is similar to the 4AB? Not as wide, and not P'Lip of course, but I see similarities.

Reactions: FurCoat and scloyd

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I like the demi-churchwarden pipes of the Bard Series but i do not prefer the available finishes. I already have an 03 and a 68 and would really like to acquire secondary 7" stems. Does anyone know of a good source for those style of stems ? Or does anyone know who makes the Peterson stems if not themselves ?
I have already contacted peterson customer service in Dublin directly and have been advised they do not sell them separately. Thank you for any help proffered.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the Bard, both the pipe and the name. Shakespeare is often called The Bard
for his vast narratives and brilliant language, but the word is often applied to any gifted story teller and/or poet.

My version of that pipe is a Savinelli 601 churchwarden, with a fully arched stem but no band. It serves the same purpose. I like it mostly as a pipe smoked when seated. I can rest my arm on the chair arm and take lazy sips as I cogitate.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Honestly I find the series quite boring. The rustication is the same old rustication available on hundreds of their pipes, and the smooth ones have a rather boring stain over what appears to be largely mediocre grain.

If you like them, more power to you, but given the standard (IMO higher) bar recent Peterson releases such as barley and Iora have set, I find this one decidedly lacking in "wow factor"

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I like the Bard, both the pipe and the name. Shakespeare is often called The Bard
for his vast narratives and brilliant language, but the word is often applied to any gifted story teller and/or poet.

My version of that pipe is a Savinelli 601 churchwarden, with a fully arched stem but no band. It serves the same purpose. I like it mostly as a pipe smoked when seated. I can rest my arm on the chair arm and take lazy sips as I cogitate.
I think I’ll smoke my 601 today… (It passes a cleaner too)

95E3592A-5103-49C9-9404-C1565AE8B32D.jpeg