PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
So what is the deal with the "XL" range. Are they called XL because they're exceptionally big? I'm eyeing an XL14 which caught my eye and I can't get enough of looking at it. I might have to buy it but i wonder, is it gigantic!?
I had an Aran 80s which I found completely agreeable in size and when I look at some specifications for the two the XL14 seem to be a bit bigger but not humungous. Is it humungous? I'm not a giant man and I don't want to sit two hours to finish my pipe. What should I do here? Please help, Oh you wise brethren!

I try to google pipes with someone in the picture with them, to get an idea of scale. This guy showed up with an XL in the first row, so it is a very large pipe.

7d23bd9c12ac960068c7f8f655410e3e--peterson-pipes-pipe-dream.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Why Cosmic, you posted a photo of the recently departed Jim Lilly, well known Peterson collector and founder of a Peterson-specific pipe discussion board. one walking encyclopedia of Peterson pipes when he was alive and had a heck of a collection of them. As to the XL 14, never owned or held one, so cannot comment on its sixe. though would think most of their Xl's would pretty sizeable pipes. Never had an 80s either for that matter. So don't know their size either.

Jan 8, 2013
I have a number of XL90s and although not ginormous, they are a hefty pipe. They're more hefty than giant. The chambers are about the same as my 106s. The B42, on the other hand, is exceptionally larger than the XL90 if that helps.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have 3 XL315's that I love.
The other XL's I've seen are larger then the non XL's but I really don't think they are bigger then the Peterson House Pipes or some of the Giants for Savinelli.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
002-029-34145.jpg

Measurements & Other Details

Length: 6.28 in./159.60 mm.

Weight: 2.43 oz./68.96 g.

Bowl Height: 2.18 in./55.43 mm.

Chamber Depth: 1.60 in./40.57 mm.

Chamber Diameter: 0.84 in./21.33 mm.

Outside Diameter: 1.72 in./43.60 mm.

Stem Material: Vulcanite

Filter: None

Shape: Rhodesian

Finish: Smooth

Material: Briar

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
The XL14 is a nice size. The only pipes that Peterson makes that are huge are the house pipes. Otherwise the XLs are sizeable, but not unreasonable.
In Short, buy it, you'll love it.
In my avatar I'm smoking a Peterson Molly Malone, It is roughly the same dimensions of the XL14.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
XXL denotes an oversized "House Pipe" in the Peterson line. The XL has nothing to do with bowl or overall pipe size. I has an EL with a wind cap which is a fairly small pipe.
Just for grins I've queried Peterson to ask what "XL" denotes.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Why thank you Warren! And thank all of you for your input! The shape just recently jumped out of the screen and into my brain screaming "get me, get meeee". Is this the onset of PAD I wonder..

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Chasingembers something like that. They are available as a sherlock Holmes as well but with another finish and thrice the price...
Unkleyoda :You don't have permission to access /forums/topic/=http://www.tobaccopipes.com/blog/peterson-xl-b-understanding-models on this server.

grilledokra

Lurker
Oct 27, 2016
I recently got an XL307 stummel, which I can almost fit my thumb into the bowl. Also the stummel is pretty close in size to my Kiko caveman-style block meerschaum. Between those two size references it puts it in the top five largest pipes among my pipes. Also, if anybody has an XL307 stem by chance let me know!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
XL does indeed mean extra large with a caveat, my XL81 is the smallest of my Peterson assortment. So, and I'm guessing here, perhaps the XL81 is larger than other 81 shapes. Now I'm confused.
I'm denied access to the above URL. What say "tobaccopipes"?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Chasingembers something like that. They are available as a sherlock Holmes as well but with another finish and thrice the price...
But didn't the shapes originate from the Holmes line then when used in other lines they are given the XL designation with a number? Aren't all of the XLs shapes from the Holmes line? Really curious now

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
unkleyoda & Warren:

There is an error with the creating of the link above.

This works --

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/blog/peterson-xl-b-understanding-models

Status
Not open for further replies.