PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
They do, but there are other things like you said, and one more. The inside of stem, the draught is bored in such a way, it expand towards the tenon end. This prevents moisture from blocking the draught and helps it to drain easily. So that "chimney" is nice, but not really a must have.
Yeah, I mentioned the graduated bore...

Reactions: bullet08

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I thought the System Spigot already had the System's engineering (thus, the use of the term 'System')? This is slightly confusing. Unless they will add the aluminium chimney to them.
I'm not really sure why but it seems this new upcoming release sounds on the expensive side.
The spigot is standard system. Only the Deluxe has that.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
No, it doesn't. When it comes to Peterson, there are few mythical tales that doesn't apply to other pipes. Like.. St. Paddy was smoking Peterson while driving out the snakes from Ireland.
I ain't heard that one lol. Good to know though. Im thinking about buying one. SP has a sale and it's marked down. I was going to buy the standard now I'm torn.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I ain't heard that one lol. Good to know though. Im thinking about buying one. SP has a sale and it's marked down. I was going to buy the standard now I'm torn.
System Spigot has sterling band and spigot. Standard doesn't. It's nickel band on Standard. And I think vulcanite stem to Standard's acrylic. Otherwise, they smoke the same. Oh, the P-lip is little different. Standard P-lip is little chunky and rounded. Personal preference some like vulcanite P-lip, others prefer acrylic P-lip.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
System Spigot has sterling band and spigot. Standard doesn't. It's nickel band on Standard. And I think vulcanite stem to Standard's acrylic. Otherwise, they smoke the same. Oh, the P-lip is little different. Standard P-lip is little chunky and rounded. Personal preference some like vulcanite P-lip, others prefer acrylic P-lip.
Yeah I knew that. I was debating if the deluxe was worth the price jump. Do you think it is? My pallet is a bit sensitive, I was thinking the deluxe might end my troubles with some blends that I enjoy. If not I'm just going to get the regular system standard.

Reactions: yanoJL

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yeah I knew that. I was debating if the deluxe was worth the price jump. Do you think it is? My pallet is a bit sensitive, I was thinking the deluxe might end my troubles with some blends that I enjoy. If not I'm just going to get the regular system standard.
Functionally, they all smoke similar. Deluxe just has more blings. There are some who swear that Deluxe is better, but after having smoked one, I can't really say that. But, it is nice to look at. Premium was nice, but don't see them at SP anymore. They always had nice grain.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Functionally, they all smoke similar. Deluxe just has more blings. There are some who swear that Deluxe is better, but after having smoked one, I can't really say that. But, it is nice to look at. Premium was nice, but don't see them at SP anymore. They always had nice grain.
I saw them there today on sale both. I think I'll take your advice and go a bit cheaper, and get the standard not the deluxe. You've never steered me wrong. Thanks.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Yup, noticed no difference in smoking my standard systems vs. my deluxes.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I don't own a deluxe, but I heard that metal filters make the pipe hotter. Is that true or is it only true with other pipes not named Peterson?
So, if I set my oven to 190 F, and place a steel bar, and an ebonite rod in there for an hour, which one will be hotter?

The metal bar might reach the ambient temperature first, since metal is a better conductor of heat. But unless there’s some weird quantum physics Casimir interaction with the metal bar, it will get no hotter than what the ambient temp is…

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
So, if I set my oven to 190 F, and place a steel bar, and an ebonite rod in there for an hour, which one will be hotter?

The metal bar might reach the ambient temperature first, since metal is a better conductor of heat. But unless there’s some weird quantum physics Casimir interaction with the metal bar, it will get no hotter than what the ambient temp is…
That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't understand why so many say they get hot. I've even heard that a lot of deluxe pipes at estate are missing them because people take them out and throw them away. Most of this comes from YouTube videos I've watched. Which I already know how YouTube is.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You know, every once in a while, the elder need to be told that they are wrong and you're going to do it. That's just every once in a while. I don't want you goes running amok.

Reactions: yanoJL
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For those that were disappointed, you should know that you don't get a chimney stem until you hit the DeLuxe System pipes and $200.
View attachment 203204
SP has a sale until Monday, you can get one a lot cheaper atm.
I picked up my Peterson House Pipe during a flash sale and it came in around the price of the new System Spigot line.

If interested in a Standard System, P&C is running a 20% flash sale on the enitre site through midnight tonight. The damage will be about $80, while SPC offers a larger range and about $83 for the System Standard.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I picked up my Peterson House Pipe during a flash sale and it came in around the price of the new System Spigot line.

If interested in a Standard System, P&C is running a 20% flash sale on the enitre site through midnight tonight. The damage will be about $80, while SPC offers a larger range and about $83 for the System Standard.
Thanks I'll check that out!

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant