PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For those who couldn't get enough of Peterson's 2023 St. Patrick's Day pipe or are interested in a different style, SPC will have Peterson's new System Spigot series pipe on 2.14.23.

According to a Facebook post, the "series will be available in a craggy, black sandblast finish, complete with Charles Peterson's patented System engineering, sterling silver Spigot mounts, and ebonite P-lip mouthpieces."

The picture looks sharpe, but I couldn't download it to share.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
For those who couldn't get enough of Peterson's 2023 St. Patrick's Day pipe or are interested in a different style, SPC will have Peterson's new System Spigot series pipe on 2.14.23.

According to a Facebook post, the "series will be available in a craggy, black sandblast finish, complete with Charles Peterson's patented System engineering, sterling silver Spigot mounts, and ebonite P-lip mouthpieces."

The picture looks sharpe, but I couldn't download it to share.
I realize the Amish are luddites, but screenshot the pics for us Bigfoot conspiracy idiots who don’t have Fakebook.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation and understanding.

😎

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I thought the System Spigot already had the System's engineering (thus, the use of the term 'System')? This is slightly confusing. Unless they will add the aluminium chimney to them.
I'm not really sure why but it seems this new upcoming release sounds on the expensive side.

Reactions: Coreios

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Glad they aren't available in a smooth because I don't have money for that right now. I'm guessing too that they're seeing how much interest these have before committing nicer stumels to the line.

Reactions: FLDRD

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
On a self imposed pipe buying moratorium…

And I’ve been avoiding buying Petersons since the whole 2021 Christmas pipe fiasco.

Drinking my coffee this morning and peruse SP site, IPSD sale 15% off. SPD pipes going for around $80, but just can’t bring myself to accept that rusticated finish. Over to the System Spigot page. If I was going to buy any standard system it would be the 307.

I look through what they have, and find one with a sandblast to my liking. Just under $150 with discount and tax.

Hopefully the drilling in the chamber isn’t halfway up the side of the wall, or I’ll return it.

It looks like the “tenon” end of the stem necks down to a smaller diameter, and then I imagine it would seat deeper than a normal spigot fitting to get past the draft. I’ll be interested in seeing it apart.

So yeah, I blew that moratorium…

AF2581D3-9B8D-4ADB-8237-720ADFF6B07D.pngDDCC0E9C-0444-4CA0-89A7-B0FFAB6D0A1B.png

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
So I assumed these system spigots would have the chimney but they're just like the other system spigots except in a new finish.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
So I assumed these system spigots would have the chimney but they're just like the other system spigots except in a new finish.
When I read 'complete Charles Peterson's patented system engineering', I assumed as well they have the chimney.

That is misleading, in a way. Not intentional, no doubt, but to me 'complete' includes the chimney.

So I'll pass on that one.

Reactions: AroEnglish

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010

And I’ve been avoiding buying Petersons since the whole 2021 Christmas pipe fiasco.

Drinking my coffee this morning and peruse SP site, IPSD sale 15% off. SPD pipes going for around $80, but just can’t bring myself to accept that rusticated finish. Over to the System Spigot page. If I was going to buy any standard system it would be the 307.

I look through what they have, and find one with a sandblast to my liking. Just under $150 with discount and tax.

Hopefully the drilling in the chamber isn’t halfway up the side of the wall, or I’ll return it.

It looks like the “tenon” end of the stem necks down to a smaller diameter, and then I imagine it would seat deeper than a normal spigot fitting to get past the draft. I’ll be interested in seeing it apart.

View attachment 203028View attachment 203029
Yeah. I kind of broke mer

View attachment 203028View attachment 203029
Yeah I kind of did too.:sher:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I looked at it some more, and the reflection off the silver kind of distorted the apparent shape of the end of the stem.

If the end of the “tenon” protrudes past the draft hole in the mortise, then I suppose it could be considered a system pipe. The regular standard system pipes have collar that extends out. I have a feeling I may have been chumped…

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I looked at it some more, and the reflection off the silver kind of distorted the apparent shape of the end of the stem.

If the end of the “tenon” protrudes past the draft hole in the mortise, then I suppose it could be considered a system pipe. The regular standard system pipes have collar that extends out. I have a feeling I may have been chumped…
How are you clumped? If you don’t like it, send it back.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
System Spigot has been around since 2017 or so (first introduced in limited number in some pipe show). It functions fine without chimney. Have two smooth, and I don't notice anything different from House Pipe and other System pipes. This ad/announcement is for the blasted finish.

Did discussed few times already. The draught hole exit is positioned high enough, the smoke doesn't hit the tenon where stem hole exits. So the condensation drop to water trap just fine.

Reactions: AroEnglish

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As to the "Chimney", I don't believe the chimney was actually part of the original "System" patent.

A reservoir, graduated bore, and the P-Lip are the items noted in the patent I believe.

I'm not a "Pete Geek"; I've just bought and smoked Peterson pipes over the last 30+ years.

Although just about every system pipe drawing I've ever seen illustrates the draft hole place so as the smoke has to pass forward and around an extension of the stem.

Reactions: yanoJL

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Settle down? I’m not micro-viewing a pipe.

I merely stated the obvious. If it doesn’t hit your standards it goes back.

My apologies for stating the obvious and getting you worked up.
I'm not worked up... It's pipe forum FFS. And that was a tongue in cheek reply to someone pointing out the disassembled spigot.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
As to the "Chimney", I don't believe the chimney was actually part of the original "System" patent.

A reservoir, graduated bore, and the P-Lip are the items noted in the patent I believe.

I'm not a "Pete Geek"; I've just bought and smoked Peterson pipes over the last 30+ years.

Although just about every system pipe drawing I've ever seen illustrates the draft hole place so as the smoke has to pass forward and around an extension of the stem.
They do, but there are other things like you said, and one more. The inside of stem, the draught is bored in such a way, it expand towards the tenon end. This prevents moisture from blocking the draught and helps it to drain easily. So that "chimney" is nice, but not really a must have.