PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Today I received my first new Peterson pipe, one exactly like this.

I intend for it to be a regular, work-horse type of smoker, one that I can grab regularly and enjoy. Given that, aesthetic perfection is not necessary, but I'm surprised. The stamping on both the briar, as well as the silver, are truly lacking in neatness, clarity and crispness. Not horrid, but "off".

Again, I bought it for smoking, and anticipate good quality in that regard. Given that, the first thing I did was grab some sandpaper and remove that coating I've read so much about here in the forums. Not even gonna try it for myself and waste a bowl of tobacco finding out. It's gone.

Did I take pictures of the stamping "defects"? No, I only had a short time and was more eager to get it sanded out so I could load a bowl when I got home tonight.

I did crack open a new tin of Peterson Standard that I ordered to go with it. Haven't had that blend yet but I like enough of their other blends that it's probably acceptable.

So is it common for new stamps to be a little off or not deeply embedded? I've regularly seen descriptions on smoking pipes that indicate: "stamping worn from buffing"; or similar statements.

This makes me think that not all of the "worn from buffing" is necessarily true, it might be low quality stamping from the start.

Mine is.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Some of the new ones they use laser etching, but obviously not yours. It's never been an issue with me, and I've got lots of Petes. What's amazing to me is they've never got a shape number wrong yet, of mine at least, even though those stamps are tiny and they've got lots of them!

Reactions: FLDRD

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's common on Peterson pipes. Never really bothered me since I know what I'm smoking. Sometimes, it's rather deeply stamped and sometimes rather light. Sometimes, it will look like they were rolling the stamp while hammering. Probably it due to the fact it's a factory pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Stamping is insanely difficult to do consistently well because of the combinatorial geometry involved, and because you get only ONE shot at it. No do-overs.

Commercial / factory or one-at-a-time artisan doesn't matter, the geometry is the same for everyone.

The amazing part is both groups get it right as often as they do. lol

Here's an explanation of the situation in shop terms for anyone who might be curious:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Very common on Pete's, especially their lower end stuff. Not sure if Laudisi has fixed that yet or not.
Ok so it's common. Not exactly complaining, as it was just over $100, and the plan is to use it regularly. Just was rather curious and thought I'd toss it out and see what others said.

But if I'd paid more, I'd be expecting better than I see.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
They would have been happy to take it back and send another! Might as well return straightaway if there is something that doesn't meet your expectations. I just checked out my Sherlocks and the silver bands are all stamped very well. The stamping on the wood is overall good but on the 4ABs there is quite a bit of info being put on there so there's a line on one or two that's shallower, one in general overall doesn't seem as deep as others. I guess I've never been that intentional about it before, but all acceptable . . . to me. I'm assuming it's all stamped, if etched, so be it, but same opinions.

Reactions: STP and scloyd

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
They would have been happy to take it back and send another! Might as well return straightaway if there is something that doesn't meet your expectations. I just checked out my Sherlocks and the silver bands are all stamped very well. The stamping on the wood is overall good but on the 4ABs there is quite a bit of info being put on there so there's a line on one or two that's shallower, one in general overall doesn't seem as deep as others. I guess I've never been that intentional about it before, but all acceptable . . . to me. I'm assuming it's all stamped, if etched, so be it, but same opinions.
Well thanks on that, and I did contemplate being picky and returning it and asking for an in house evaluation on one that would be more "perfect". But then I decided that I would follow my first intention and simply keep it and use it as regularly as possible.

If it were perfect I'd fuss about it and worry I'd be the first to do something to mar it. This way it's less of a worry.

Like ripped jeans; or the clothing pre-stained with Heinz ketchup. Yeah, that's a thing. Whatever.

Gonna go home and smoke my new pipe soon!

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Stamping is insanely difficult to do consistently well because of the combinatorial geometry involved, and because you get only ONE shot at it. No do-overs.

Commercial / factory or one-at-a-time artisan doesn't matter, the geometry is the same for everyone.

The amazing part is both groups get it right as often as they do. lol

Here's an explanation of the situation in shop terms for anyone who might be curious:

I ran across your video on this earlier this year and it lead to me completely rethinking my stamping, which was not going well at the time. It changed everything, including the success rate.

Reactions: kcghost and STP

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I own a lot of pipes. Stamping is inconsistent with every brand I have owned.

Currently most of my pipes are either new Peterson’s or pre-Republic and I’ve only had one pipe that had stamping issues.

It was a weird laser etched stamp. All the impression stamps are fine, unless some baboon buffed the shit out of it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’m sure they have a machine for stamping, not hand stamped. Over the last few years the stampings have become shallow, compared to prior years.

And yes the metal stamping over last few years seems to have gotten sloppier.

I think they have a lot of newer employees.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
As per intention, I did not procrastinate on this. I had determined it would be a go-to pipe upon placing the order and a go-to pipe it is!

Blissful smoke.
Excellent pipe.
Delightful blend. *
Mmm, good.

I enjoyed it immensely last night and it suits me just right in the hand, the draw, the P-lip, the heft, the tactile sense, the chamber size; all of it.

Yep the stamping's a little off but I'm gonna grab it regular and make it perform, not keep it tucked away in a sock, this one.

* I've never been disappointed by a Peterson blend, albeit that most of those thus far have been "English" in nature. But they have "something" that is just right for me. And I think I get a greater level of nic from their blends. Didn't think that was what I was after, as I'm chasing the flavor, but I do think I've noticed that they seem to be stronger to me. Another one of those things (absorption) that may have to do with pH individuality. But the lingering flavor... Had to do a repeat this morning with coffee.

That was all right!

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I do not own a Pete, but want to. I've heard grumbling for years about declining quality (not what it used to be, etc., you know how it goes).

In this case, my usual strategy is to pick up an estate in good condition, the older the better. Actually I find myself doing this more and more with many other kinds of articles. I like older, better quality collectibles. Plus, I think many pipe smokers are latent, if not outright collector nuts, one of the reasons I fit in. ;)

Now you know me, should I stick with an estate? The other thing is the estate Pete's I've been seeing lately are often equivalent in price to new ones, and I would abhor buying new for the name/brand, and ending up being disappointed.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I do not own a Pete, but want to. I've heard grumbling for years about declining quality (not what it used to be, etc., you know how it goes).

In this case, my usual strategy is to pick up an estate in good condition, the older the better. Actually I find myself doing this more and more with many other kinds of articles. I like older, better quality collectibles. Plus, I think many pipe smokers are latent, if not outright collector nuts, one of the reasons I fit in. ;)

Now you know me, should I stick with an estate? The other thing is the estate Pete's I've been seeing lately are often equivalent in price to new ones, and I would abhor buying new for the name/brand, and ending up being disappointed.
I've looked around at used Peterson pipes as well, and most all of my pipes are actually used.

That said, I decided that with the used price-hooplah being what it is, paying for a new one was a reasonable endeavor.

As I said, I'm really pleased. I do have quite a few pipes I've smoked and handled, other new ones I haven't touched yet that are waiting for the future. The ones I've enjoyed help me in my search for new ones to acquire, and that likely helped make this purchase fit me just right.

I think it was about $108. Used pipes on Ebay go for crazy prices sometimes. And this one could have been returned to Smoking Pipes if I hadn't really cared for it. I like that backing better than an Ebay seller.

Yep. Pleased. Read what others note and you'll find what's right for you.

Reactions: avail