PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
Interesting, I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one at the moment. What are the flaws that people are referring to?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting, I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one at the moment. What are the flaws that people are referring to?
Some Petes came with stain that had crept into the chamber. Annoying but hardly fatal.
Some complained of drilling not being aligned right on some pipes. In my experience, unless the alignment is way off, it's a piddling detail. For others, it's a fatal flaw. HTH.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve owned many a Peterson’s and found them to be very good to great smokers. I understand that some found deficiencies in either the drilling or staining in years past. I only had an issue with one where the drilling was off. The one spigot I still have is spot on & I would not hesitate to purchase another.

Any factory pipe manufacturer (not just Peterson’s) will likely have occasional quality concerns here and there do to the mass produced nature. I understand it inconvenient, but If you get a Pete that is off, send it back as you would anything else. The next will likely be right on.☕

no he's saying that we bitch about something that isn't a problem.
because you always hear people dogging on Pete's but other pipes have the same issues.
Respectfully, this is absolutely wrong. People post more problems with Petes than any other pipe company (period)
Being here for a while, you just see the posts come in monthly, sometimes weekly.
And, Skip at The Briary can tell you that he went through a period where he sent back about half of all Petersons that came in.
They went through a period where their QC was the worst in the industry. Are they getting better? I hope. But, to put it off that people have only complained about Petes is not true. I have seen more posts with pics since I have been here than any other pipe company. Have Savs, Comoys, Dunhills, and all of the other companies had bad pipes... absolutely, but not nearly as many as Peterson.

Should people stop buying Petes, not in my opinion. If you like the shape, then buy them. But, i suggest buying one of their high grades or older estates. You run less risk of getting one of the pipes that had QC issues.

I know you are in love with this brand, Brobs, and I mean you no disrespect. I don't hate this brand at all, but it would be false to deny what you see and have experienced. I do really hope this company gets their shit together. Hopefully, they already have, but there are still most likely some of these bad QC pipes floating about.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I like my Pete's...but they are what they are. Expecting anything different is like being disappointed that your Caddy doesn't corner like a Porsche.

I also think they are some of the best value in the estate market. You can get a nice silver accented for cheap.

Not a fan of the P-lip on straight pipes. They work better on full bents for me.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Respectfully, this is absolutely wrong. People post more problems with Petes than any other pipe company (period)
Being here for a while, you just see the posts come in monthly, sometimes weekly.
And, Skip at The Briary can tell you that he went through a period where he sent back about half of all Petersons that came in.
They went through a period where their QC was the worst in the industry. Are they getting better? I hope. But, to put it off that people have only complained about Petes is not true. I have seen more posts with pics since I have been here than any other pipe company. Have Savs, Comoys, Dunhills, and all of the other companies had bad pipes... absolutely, but not nearly as many as Peterson.

Should people stop buying Petes, not in my opinion. If you like the shape, then buy them. But, i suggest buying one of their high grades or older estates. You run less risk of getting one of the pipes that had QC issues.

I know you are in love with this brand, Brobs, and I mean you no disrespect. I don't hate this brand at all, but it would be false to deny what you see and have experienced. I do really hope this company gets their shit together. Hopefully, they already have, but there are still most likely some of these bad QC pipes floating about.
Sure there was a recent period of time where there was some lax QC. More bad pipes per capita seemed to be put out at that time most definitely.

the comment you are referencing is specifically about what that guy said in his comment. I am not dismissing all issues with Petes. What exactly have you seen posted that was different from a flaw presented by any other pipe?

However I will say that it just proves how many people buy Petersons. You will get the same effect with any of the most popular of a product genre. I bet you can find way more complaints about a Toyota online than a Fiat.

Above Mantis just said that his artisan dragonbriar pipe had stain in the chamber. But you won't see people posting about it online.. they may email the manufacturer about it, but it's often handled differently. People will post gripes about factory made items online without a second thought. Savinelli? How could you tell if the drilling is off from stem to tenon if there is a cavernous space inside there? As for drilling into the bowl.. a non-issue.

And I honestly could care less what people think about Pete's.. I would love it if less people liked them, actually. I just get perturbed when people relentlessly dog on them... I bet if Peterson installed a dot on the stem and charged 3x as much some might have more respect and the shapes may become more "traditional" in some eyes.

Not trying to be argumentative but a lot of the gripes I have seen/read/heard are complete BS or opinion.

also if there is a true issue with a pipe.. contact that dang company and see if they will make it right!

Status
Not open for further replies.