PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Anyone else have this struggle with this type of stem. I have plenty of pipes and have smoked for decades. No problems with any other pipe but this is my first voyage with this type of stem…not liking it. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Merton

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Anyone else have this struggle with this type of stem. I have plenty of pipes and have smoked for decades. No problems with any other pipe but this is my first voyage with this type of stem…not liking it. Lol
I never liked the P-lip either. For me, I did not like a) the upward direction of the drawn in smoke, and b) the shape of the distal end of the stem…. I could not find a comfortable way to grip it between my teeth.

I gave my one and only P-lip away long, long ago.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
I never liked the P-lip either. For me, I did not like a) the upward direction of the drawn in smoke, and b) the shape of the distal end of the stem…. I could not find a comfortable way to grip it between my teeth.

I gave my one and only P-lip away long, long ago.
Yeah I don’t think I would ever buy another one this style. Wonder what the feasibility of swapping out another style with this Peterson.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one P-Lip Peterson, a Killarney 999 Rhodesian. I do not have trouble with it stimulating more saliva, but it is more of a mouthful that I'd like. I enjoy it as a change-up, and because it is trademark stem for Petes (although they are not the only brand to have offered it) but one P-Lip is sufficient.

Some years ago, members here recommended sawing off the end of the P-Lip and filing it down to a fishtail bit, more or less.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I have one and it works just fine for me. I'm not typically a fan of the rubber bits, but in this case it allows me to clench with ease and it sits perfectly in my mouth. That said, I still prefer the regular fishtail style. But, if I found another Peterson I really wanted but only came in a P-lip, I'd definitely grab it.

20230607_105825.jpg

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I'm late to the party but it's working for me too. I used to think the P-Lip/System thing was a bit of a gimmick until I gave it a try. Planning on getting another.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It's funny i smoke all VA and VaPers, haven't gotten bite in a year as I've finally figured out loading a bowl and drying my tobacco, but the P-lip always gives me bite in the roof of my mouth .. they don't like me and i don't like them!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I can take them or leave them,4 of my small number of pipes are plip Petes.6 Petes make up 1/3 my collection.
i definitely dont like softy bits though

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
love the Peterson lip. Though I do recommend reading what Peterson says about using it. The little ridge should rest on the inside of your teeth and the indent on the bottom should rest on the tongue. Also to really see the magic of the system don't put the stem in unless you're smoking it. Try it with your most kitchen sink complex blends or your most bite prone too. That should give you the best idea of how they work and why they're an improvement on an issues that didn't need improved. Or that's my opinion. I would certainly get another one.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I enjoy smoking with P-lip but had a hard time while cleaning it.
View attachment 226434
I use tapered cleaners. The thin end goes in the stem once for each opening. The wide end goes into the draft hole and then fold that end in half and swab the well and surrounding mortise. And I am really amazed and shocked how well the suggestion to leave the pipe disassembled between smoke really is. It cleans so much easier if you don't put the stem back in right away. Also dump the ash so that any well run off drips out the pipe and not into the chamber. Those last two do way more for making clean up easy then I would have thought they could.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It takes some getting used to and a different technique compared to a standard fish tail stem. I find I puff a bit faster with a P lip and have to focus myself on slow smoking.

Reactions: anotherbob