PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Dunhill Nightcap is very speciall to me.
It was my first real pipe tobacco, after a pouch of some cherry OTC. It hooked me from the first puff, no, from the first sniff of the tins, and smoked nothing but that, daily, for 2 years. As Greece is a pipe tobacco desert I used to order Nightcap from Denmark or the UK until two things happened: Dunhill ceased production, and neither the UK or Denmark would ship overseas, so I had to find other avenues and learn about other tobaccos, both of which I did. I also learnt about cellaring, not to be left without tobacco again because the frustration of being left without a key source of enjoyment can still be felt.

Of course when Peterson rereleased some of the Dunhill blends I had to get some Nightcap, did get it and loved it just the same. It is still great and I can't detect any difference from when the tins said Dunhill. I am now well, stocked for Nightcap, maybe i'll crack a tin for the weekend :)

Robby

Lurker
Aug 10, 2020
illinois
Dunhill Nightcap is very speciall to me.
It was my first real pipe tobacco, after a pouch of some cherry OTC. It hooked me from the first puff, no, from the first sniff of the tins, and smoked nothing but that, daily, for 2 years. As Greece is a pipe tobacco desert I used to order Nightcap from Denmark or the UK until two things happened: Dunhill ceased production, and neither the UK or Denmark would ship overseas, so I had to find other avenues and learn about other tobaccos, both of which I did. I also learnt about cellaring, not to be left without tobacco again because the frustration of being left without a key source of enjoyment can still be felt.

Of course when Peterson rereleased some of the Dunhill blends I had to get some Nightcap, did get it and loved it just the same. It is still great and I can't detect any difference from when the tins said Dunhill. I am now well, stocked for Nightcap, maybe i'll crack a tin for the weekend :)
i see many tube videos of night cap im a new guy i might order some

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
i see many tube videos of night cap im a new guy i might order some
Do you know what to expect? I knew the smell of Latakia when I opened my first tin of Nightcap, but didn't know it had a name, my first reaction, still remember it clearly, was "Ok, THIS is it". Dunhill (Peterson) blends are masterfully done in my opinion, they are just balanced and have a sense of maturity and civility for lack of a better word that I havente found elsewhere, even though I smoke a lot more of other blends. They are as classic as are the Gawith house blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Same Dunhill recipe, same blending contractor, it's a winning combination. I remember cracking a tin on the front porch when my wife was in rehab after hip surgery, after spending the day with her. Booze wasn't going to help, to rise early the next morning. So I sat there listening to the crickets and smoking Nightcap. Yes, yes, yes.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Nightcap was the first English blend I tried circa 1998. Being a cigar smoker at the time, it was recommended to me because it was fuller-bodied/flavored, and the aromatics I had tried weren't impressing me. That Nightcap sure did though, from the moment I opened the tin and smelled that sweet, sweet latakia...mmmm.....yessssssss...(drool).

Ahem...anyway I've tried a number of other Latakia-heavy Englishes recently, many of which are excellent (Pirate Kake and Spark Plug to name a couple) but Nightcap is still special to me, and it arguably the coolest looking tin out there imho.

Robby

Lurker
Aug 10, 2020
illinois
Nightcap was the first English blend I tried circa 1998. Being a cigar smoker at the time, it was recommended to me because it was fuller-bodied/flavored, and the aromatics I had tried weren't impressing me. That Nightcap sure did though, from the moment I opened the tin and smelled that sweet, sweet latakia...mmmm.....yessssssss...(drool).

Ahem...anyway I've tried a number of other Latakia-heavy Englishes recently, many of which are excellent (Pirate Kake and Spark Plug to name a couple) but Nightcap is still special to me, and it arguably the coolest looking tin out there imho.
mhmmmmmmmmmm

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When I started smoking pipes, Dunhill blends were going away. Nightcap was already impossible to get. I got into English blend and wanted to try it, but I wasn't going to pay the price being asked for, and was rather happy with other English blends I was smoking. Then Peterson brought it back. Another reason to love Peterson brand. But like I said, I was rather happy with other blends. But ended up getting two tins anyway. Too say the least, I was not impressed. Like many mentioned, there are definitely better blends. It's not that Nightcap is a bad blend or lack in quality, but others are more complex, smooth, and interesting. Even from the same brand, I find Early Morning Pipe more enjoyable than Nightcap.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'm always up for praising Nightcap, quite simply one of the top 5 English blends on the market.
Couldn't agree more, and in a field with so much competition. I've been blessed with several ounces of well-aged goodness from when it carried the Dunhill banner and it is simply awesome. The newer Peterson is good, too, though I'm leaving it alone to see how/if it ages to be the fantastic Dunhill stuff I use for special occasions on a freshish palate.

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
Nightcap was the first tobacco that really clicked with me. I was smoking a pipe in my college days, mostly OTC tobaccos as that is all we could get. One day the local Rexall drug store got in a few tins of tobacco - I bought the Nightcap, a good friend bought MacBaren's Dark Twist. This was back in the late 70's and I still enjoy it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.