PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gds

Lurker
Sep 13, 2020
I recently transitioned from aromatics to English. I have been smoking Nightcap and Plum Pudding almost exclusively for the last two weeks. This morning I tried a bowl of an aromatic and discovered that my palate has transformed. The aromatic was tasteless to me. I prefer the fullness of Nightcap over Plum Pudding as the Latika is not as pronounced in the Nightcap. It looks like my aromatics will be shelved and only brought out to give to friends who want to try pipe smoking. I don’t think I will ever go back....but my wallet will surely suffer a bit. I have a tin of EMP on its way and look forward to trying that out later this week.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I recently transitioned from aromatics to English. I have been smoking Nightcap and Plum Pudding almost exclusively for the last two weeks. This morning I tried a bowl of an aromatic and discovered that my palate has transformed. The aromatic was tasteless to me. I prefer the fullness of Nightcap over Plum Pudding as the Latika is not as pronounced in the Nightcap. It looks like my aromatics will be shelved and only brought out to give to friends who want to try pipe smoking. I don’t think I will ever go back....but my wallet will surely suffer a bit. I have a tin of EMP on its way and look forward to trying that out later this week.
Balkan Supreme could well be a friend to your wallet and palate based on your Nightcap pref.

If it is a concern, and only if it's a concern because pipe smoking shouldn't be a chore, you might consider 3-5 bowls of hot air tasting aro's to get the taste back while staying off the Englishes. It took me three bowls and three days to begin to enjoy my VaPer/Va's again after an English binge. I'm just suggesting it might be more palate training than a semi-permanent change. Either way... enjoy the smoke.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Nightcap and comoys Scottish blend were the two first blends I tried as a cigar smoker picking up a pipe for the first time 12 years ago. I just thought that their tin note was just what all pipe tobacco was like. I’m looking forward to trying nightcap again one of these days when a friend pops a tin

Reactions: ofafeather

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Nightcap and comoys Scottish blend were the two first blends I tried as a cigar smoker picking up a pipe for the first time 12 years ago. I just thought that their tin note was just what all pipe tobacco was like. I’m looking forward to trying nightcap again one of these days when a friend pops a tin
Felt similar this past spring picking up the pipe for the first time after being a cigar smoker. My first purchase was a tin of Pease Quiet Nights and a corn cob pipe. My first thought was, "Oh shit, what did I get myself into?" Took me a while to come around to Latakia blends

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Felt similar this past spring picking up the pipe for the first time after being a cigar smoker. My first purchase was a tin of Pease Quiet Nights and a corn cob pipe. My first thought was, "Oh shit, what did I get myself into?" Took me a while to come around to Latakia blends
I should note my experience was more like “oh shheeeiiiittt!” I was hooked

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I should note my experience was more like “oh shheeeiiiittt!” I was hooked
Took me a while to get there. I literally thought that all pipe tobacco would smell like creosote and campfire. Nevermind the ridiculously hard time I had trying to fold and stuff broken flakes - not entirely unlike my first time with a woman. Except this time was almost an hour of fumbling.

Now, hell, I can't go more than a couple days without that Latakia goodness.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Took me a while to get there. I literally thought that all pipe tobacco would smell like creosote and campfire. Nevermind the ridiculously hard time I had trying to fold and stuff broken flakes - not entirely unlike my first time with a woman. Except this time was almost an hour of fumbling.

Now, hell, I can't go more than a couple days without that Latakia goodness.
And cue “rubbing it out first” jokes...

If I’m honest, as a teenager at the time I was probably more concerned with making as much smoke as possible, and the aroma of ash trays, I mean Latakia, smelled like success.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
It's funny to me how some people keep looking for Peterson Nightcap to be somehow different than the most recent iteration of Dunhill-branded Nightcap. I can't imagine any reason for the blend to change at all.

gds

Lurker
Sep 13, 2020
Balkan Supreme could well be a friend to your wallet and palate based on your Nightcap pref.

If it is a concern, and only if it's a concern because pipe smoking shouldn't be a chore, you might consider 3-5 bowls of hot air tasting aro's to get the taste back while staying off the Englishes. It took me three bowls and three days to begin to enjoy my VaPer/Va's again after an English binge. I'm just suggesting it might be more palate training than a semi-permanent change. Either way... enjoy the smoke.

Thanks for the insight and advice. I appreciate it

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
Does this tobacco age well? I’m planning on opening my tin this weekend. I want to start cellaring so if I like this one I may buy a few tins to stash.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I just opened a tin tonight and it’s absolutely delightful. I really like the MM 965 but I think this is better. There seems to be more flavor.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Before I get brow beaten, let's remember tastes are subjective. I like Nightcap but perfer 965 as far as Peterson blends go. I do not cellar it, just get a tin when the mood strikes me and a tin will last me a year jarred. For my taste I perfer WCC or LJP.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
I’ll always have some Nighcap around. Really like it but the wife isn’t the biggest fan of the room note. It’s one step above Black Twist to her though? LOL

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
Before I get brow beaten, let's remember tastes are subjective. I like Nightcap but perfer 965 as far as Peterson blends go. I do not cellar it, just get a tin when the mood strikes me and a tin will last me a year jarred. For my taste I perfer WCC or LJP.
No brow beating here. The best tobacco available is the one you like the best.

PapeChulo

Lurker
Oct 27, 2020
I once bought a jar of Nightcap the owner said had been aging a long time (15 years). I could not tell any difference between that jarred and aged Nightcap and a tin of Dunhill 2017, but my taste buds are not very refined.

Status
Not open for further replies.