PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sorry for the confusion, this is the last line written in the "history" of Barling pipes on the Pipedia page:

Most recently inexpensive pipes bearing the Barling name, but made by Peterson have been available for sale in the US.

But it sounds like "most recently" is now out of date and there are even more recent Barlings on market. I also have a vague memory from a year or two ago a pipe company teasing that lion head logo on their social media. I can't find it now though of course.
I've been meaning to do an update, as it's been 5 years since I last revised it. On the list of thing to do in the near future. I've got a number of new pieces of information to update and replace older info.

Reactions: Toast

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Ok, found was I was thinking of...back in December 2020 Kopp Pipes started teasing the lion head inlay on their Instagram page.

Is Kohlhase & Kopp the "K&K" that Sablebrush is referring to? Kopp sells pipes, but doesn't make them? Plus they're German and as noted above by someone more perceptive than I, "Italy" is listed as the point of origin for the pipes at tobaccopipes.com. So we're thinking a German company owns them, but is having them made by someone in Italy?

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
But it sounds like "most recently" is now out of date and there are even more recent Barlings on market. I also have a vague memory from a year or two ago a pipe company teasing that lion head logo on their social media. I can't find it now though of course.

Gosh, I'm not even sure what that could be referring to, but if true it has to be a very long time ago indeed (at least twenty years).

Reactions: anotherbob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
LOL Mr Browning. Jesse is a big pussy cat who just happens to be the worlds foremost Barling expert. we have other world experts like j.guss who I believe is a Dunhill expert. We also have the world's best pipe restorer in George Dibos. No he doesn't work on pipes that are not over a pretty high price point as I once asked about getting a pipe fixed and he just laughed. I got his meaning quite easily.
I am going to open myself up for another laugh from George and ask if he would make me a custom stem made from the highest quality German Ebonite. It is a Bruce Weaver pipe so it ain't a dog.
I do expect to pay a 3 figure number.

What do you say George am I still out of your league? You may embarrass me in front of all the others, I can take it.

• Haha
Reactions: Toast and jpmcwjr

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Like many things in the pipe world, commercial lines like Barling, Charatan, Stanwell, F&T, Rattray's, St Bruno, 3 Nuns, Capstan, Peterson, Dunhill, McConnell, etc, etc, are just names on a list of corporate assets, long disassociated from the people who created them and shepherded their creations.

That pretty much sums up the sad state of the bland and corporatized modern world.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I'd be interested in knowing how a pipe maker can adopt (co-opt?) a classic brand name. The last era of Barling manufacturer made the least coveted pipes (I think) so this tag-along redo sounds dubious. I love my Petes; just do more of them.
I assume they either buy the rights or are enlisted by those who have those rights?
Mike S.

Reactions: jpmcwjr