PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I don't know much about Barlings but I understand Peterson is now making pipes with that branding. I'm guessing that Barling fans are happy? Anyway, my question really is, does anyone have any experience with these new Barling pipes? I understand that they may not be "true" Barlings, but regardless, as a pipe, are they any good? I'm attracted to the traditional shapes and finishes as well as the price point. Any info, thoughts, opinions, rants, are all welcome! Oh, and the pipes are listed on a website which is not a sponsor of this forum so I'm not posting a link to them. (Am I correct in assuming that's the protocol?)

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
@sablebrush52 is the only Barling fan, because he's bought up the entire supply. The rest of us are just long distance admirers.
I know from reading his posts that he's among the most knowledgeable folks on here, but also among the more curmudgeonly so I won't go poking that hornet's nest. Although it'd be fascinating to hear his perspective on the resurgence of the brand name.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All righty, then! I went to the Peterson site and there's no mention of Barling at all.
So, at this point, a link would be appreciated.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I know from reading his posts that he's among the most knowledgeable folks on here, but also among the more curmudgeonly so I won't go poking that hornet's nest. Although it'd be fascinating to hear his perspective on the resurgence of the brand name.
No worries. He'll show up, and btw, he's sorta a mensch, too. Don't tell anyone!

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I googled "Peterson Barling" and found a bunch of pipedia posts, and one that said something about 1909 Peterson/Barlings. That was when I realized my assumption of Barley was wrong.
This article from tobacco pipes mentions late model Peterson made Barlings and the new line up and logo all look very Peterson-esque. Though nothing concrete about Peterson actually producing the new Barlings. Country of origin is also listed as Italy for new Barlings on tobaccopipes.com
barling-new-logo.png

barling-stamp.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be interested in knowing how a pipe maker can adopt (co-opt?) a classic brand name. The last era of Barling manufacturer made the least coveted pipes (I think) so this tag-along redo sounds dubious. I love my Petes; just do more of them.

Reactions: anotherbob
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I'd be interested in knowing how a pipe maker can adopt (co-opt?) a classic brand name. The last era of Barling manufacturer made the least coveted pipes (I think) so this tag-along redo sounds dubious. I love my Petes; just do more of them.
Sometimes it's just a matter of contacting who currently owns the trademark (could be a holding company or some lawyers) or who the estate holder might be; sometimes trademarks lapse and you can acquire the rights.

Reactions: mingc
Pipesmokers tend to be gullible and attracted to links to history. Like War Horse Bar and other releases of things like Three Nuns and the new Escudo. Pipesmokers want a connection to the past so bad, that they don't care whether the tobacco tastes anything like what it used to. Like guys buying up Capstan for that connection with Lewis, when we have no idea what that blend might have tasted like back in the day. Just slap an old label on something and guys line up.

If the release a new pipe with an old name, many will buy it for that reason alone.

In many ways, I wish that Stanwell had of just closed instead of opting to become a cheap Italian made pipe. They lost all of those years influence on designs by Eltang, Ivarsen, Chonowitsch, etc... just to keep a name on a pipe, a cheap pipe. I know many guys like these new Stans, and I apologize for my opinions. It's just how I feel about it.

Otherwise, I have no knowledge of British pipes... so...

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Welp, if I'm incorrect I apologize profusely, but that's why I came to ask - to get to get the lowdown on these pipes.

I thought I'd read that Peterson was making them, if that's not the case, who is and are they any good? Does anyone own one?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Most curmudgeonly? Moi? Heaven forfend! I am the very definition of anodyne. I'm only ever a tad bit less than ecstatic when dealing with slack jawed drooling knuckle dragging dim wits here who think they're epitomes of sagacity.
But since you're publicly wetting yourself over the prospect of asking me my thoughts on this new line of pipes bearing the Barling name, I wouldn't want to risk you having a seizure by me supplying them, so in the interest of your well being, won't offer any.

They are also for sale at Tobaccopipes.com

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sometimes it's just a matter of contacting who currently owns the trademark (could be a holding company or some lawyers) or who the estate holder might be; sometimes trademarks lapse and you can acquire the rights.
Evidently the owners of the IP are now K&K, at least that's who contacted me and several others a year or so back to let us know that they were reintroducing the brand.

Peterson had been making a really crap version for the former owner, priced at about $35 retail. Barlings with a P lip.

The new line is attractive and I like the silver work. They won't have the same smoking properties, but they might be just as fine in a different way. I don't know who's making these for K&K, but it doesn't look like Peterson, based on the shaping, and the filter.

Like many things in the pipe world, commercial lines like Barling, Charatan, Stanwell, F&T, Rattray's, St Bruno, 3 Nuns, Capstan, Peterson, Dunhill, McConnell, etc, etc, are just names on a list of corporate assets, long disassociated from the people who created them and shepherded their creations.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Most curmudgeonly? Moi? Heaven forfend! I am the very definition of anodyne. I'm only ever a tad bit less than ecstatic when dealing with slack jawed drooling knuckle dragging dim wits here who think they're epitomes of sagacity.
But since you're publicly wetting yourself over the prospect of asking me my thoughts on this new line of pipes bearing the Barling name, I wouldn't want to risk you having a seizure by me supplying them, so in the interest of your well being, won't offer any.

They are also for sale at Tobaccopipes.com
which one of the definitions is it?

Reactions: sablebrush52

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Sorry for the confusion, this is the last line written in the "history" of Barling pipes on the Pipedia page:

Most recently inexpensive pipes bearing the Barling name, but made by Peterson have been available for sale in the US.

But it sounds like "most recently" is now out of date and there are even more recent Barlings on market. I also have a vague memory from a year or two ago a pipe company teasing that lion head logo on their social media. I can't find it now though of course.

Reactions: sablebrush52