PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Really hope pipe tobacco doesn't go the same route as Cuban cigars because of the Asian market. I don't know enough about Cuban cigars or the Asian market to make any claims, but I've read on here about the price hike.
I think to some extent it already has. However the Chinese market is fickle and follows hype. You've got a lot of "new money" buying "old luxury" goods with the most brand clout to show off first and actually smoke and enjoy second or third. So for most of the Chinese market they're buying scarce high end like Esoterica. I guess if your main source of 'baccy is online ordering Esoterica you've had a rough couple years and are going to be in for more. For most of us though the Chinese market is not a huge influence, things like this with STG are much more likely caused by the ever rippling wave of supply issues every industry is going through right now.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
I buy it off Boswells all the time. Right now its still available, its a problem once its gone. SPC is the biggest retailer in the game and they cant get it, so whats that say? Again I didn't ask how to get it, I asked why some retailers arent getting resupplied.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Smoking pipes.com is a tiny company compared to the company that owns pipes and cigars , which happens to be the worlds dominant supplier of tobacco, including ownership of Peter Stokkebye. Scandinavian tobacco group a 10 B public company. If STG.CO decides to change their distribution strategy globally , things will change for the distribution channel

Last edited:

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Smoking pipes.com is a tiny company compared to the company that owns pipes and cigars , which happens to be the worlds dominant supplier of tobacco, including ownership of Peter Stokkebye. Scandinavian tobacco group a 10 B public company. If STG.CO decides to change their distribution strategy globally , things will change for the distribution channel
That may be true to STG globally but here in the States, P&C is not moving as much "Pipe and pipe tobacco" as SPC. And if you look at their 2nd quarter earnings they are behind. Again, why is Stokkebye not being restocked?