PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
I guess French press is one of the current coffee experts' favorites, for getting all the essence out of a brew, perhaps a bit like a Meerschaum pipe. For me, a percolator adds a kind of earthy tone that adds a lot.
Percolator coffee definitely tastes different. And I agree with you, I think it brews a cup superior to other methods. Those electric pots are spendy! I would like to see it make a comeback, too, so hopefully the price drops.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Percolator coffee definitely tastes different. And I agree with you, I think it brews a cup superior to other methods. Those electric pots are spendy! I would like to see it make a comeback, too, so hopefully the price drops.
these electric percolators are still widely used in Sweden&Finland especially with elderly folks
@BROBS , first time ever I heard of that, and Finland&Sweden consume most of the coffees in the whole world,me?no,I prefer Teas

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@BROBS, Now that You brought this up I remember reading somewhere an article that consumption of coffees brewed by Cowboy method' may raise cholesterol, this method was all they used here up to 1970+, in addition, there were these popular glassware vacuum drip coffee pots

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I use a Bialetti almost daily. If you're seriously into coffee, do yourself a favor and pick one up on amazon or somewhere for a few bucks, get some good Ethiopean beans, grind em fresh, and you'll never look back to the old way you drank coffee. I would call it a a 33% espresso. You clearly don't work with the huge number of bars of pressure that a proper espresso machine produces, but you get something like 1 or 2? You do get some crema with these stovetop percolators, and the brew is just far far richer than anything like french press or pour-over, which is for more of a "cleaner", thinner coffee. You get solid Americanos with a percolator, or you can even make a latte if you have a way to foam your milk.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I use a Bialetti almost daily. If you're seriously into coffee, do yourself a favor and pick one up on amazon or somewhere for a few bucks, get some good Ethiopean beans, grind em fresh, and you'll never look back to the old way you drank coffee. I would call it a a 33% espresso. You clearly don't work with the huge number of bars of pressure that a proper espresso machine produces, but you get something like 1 or 2? You do get some crema with these stovetop percolators, and the brew is just far far richer than anything like french press or pour-over, which is for more of a "cleaner", thinner coffee. You get solid Americanos with a percolator, or you can even make a latte if you have a way to foam your milk.
After reading this thread, I believe a percolator is different to a stove top mocha maker like the Bialetti.

I have a stove top mocha maker as well and love making coffee with it on camping trips. I love the rich almost espresso flavours and love to drink it with hot milk.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I mostly use an aeropress; it’s a tube with a paper filter at one end and you fill it up with grounds and water and use a plunger to push it out through the filter. Fast, easy, no grounds in the coffee.

The main thing I’ve learned with it is that I like lower brew temperatures, and right now I use 185°F water, not boiling. So I’ll bet the main difference with percolator coffee and my method would be that the grounds spend a lot of time in boiling water and extract differently.

sgh

Lurker
Nov 22, 2019
I've never been able to get a percolator to make coffee the way that I like it. I've been lazy lately, drinking keurig coffee, but I used to roast my own from green beans. Heat gun, steel bowl, wooden spoon. Used to take me 20 minutes a week, and the beans were so good it almost didn't matter how I brewed them. Gotta get back on that horse.

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
They are pretty good for sure!

Reactions: anotherbob

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
We've got 10 percolators in this house; My parents brewed it exclusively. I became a coffee nut over the years an favor Moka pot and flipdrip(neopolitan style) but Nothing is like Percolator. Interestingly enough Some young trampy girl whose italian dad had passed recently brought out a 1960's Percolator design her dad invented to prevent burning; she wanted $300 per pot and probably never sold any of them.

Jan 27, 2020
Coffee consumption went down in the US impart due in part to the popularization of the percolator. Water passing through grounds repeatedly causes over extraction. Maybe it’s been mentioned already.

Jan 27, 2020
you're joking right?

No, boiled unfiltered coffee from what I read can contribute to stomach cancer, but it was over 8 years ago so maybe the data has been refuted since. I personally onky make coffee with a moka pot at home, the Chock Full o’Nuts I grew up on a percolator was awful in distant memory.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
No, boiled unfiltered coffee from what I read can contribute to stomach cancer, but it was over 8 years ago so maybe the data has been refuted since. I personally onky make coffee with a moka pot at home, the Chock Full o’Nuts I grew up on a percolator was awful in distant memory.
then Moka has to be just as hot and possibly bad; i'm skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.