PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ace Hardware used to carry small percolator pots, and I have seen them in outdoor shops in the camping gear section, and in down home catalogs like Vermont Country Store. Although I prefer the stove-top version to the electric, I think you were wise to stock up. Finding them is somewhat random, so when you find 'em, it is smart to buy an extra. If you live in a long-settled areas, you can sometimes find them in yard sales or flea markets. Younger people tend not to have them. If you buy 'em used, just be sure they have the basket and cover that fit, since replacement parts are harder to find than the entire pot. Now it just takes an "influencer," some jazzy looking young person, to be pictured hovering over their percolator and a steaming cup of coffee at their web site or Facebook page, or Instagram, or whatever's the current social media, and these pots will appear everywhere at exalted prices. If you have a choice, stainless steel is better than aluminum, retains heat better and is more durable, I think.

Reactions: cornedbeef

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's what seems to be a pretty good example of a stovetop version:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FK2M87K/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Looks quite buff! If I ever camp again, that'd be the ticket, along with an Aeropress. Stainless, and $30.00.
81lMHM7QJCL._SL1500_.jpg

Thrift stores often have old perk pots, electric and stovetop.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I thought that I had given up coffee for good.....until this post came along. Finally caved in and dug out the old pot, went out and picked up some coffee, and I guess it's game on again. Thanks.
coffee-337x600.jpg

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey guys, I think we're starting a wave here. Remember this thread. Stay tuned as they say.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I will drink coffee in any way, form, shape and size. But percolators are cool. They just seen to be too much effort for me.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Ace Hardware used to carry small percolator pots ...

Funny you mention them; Ace was the first place I looked. There are two in town. One of them told me they usually carried them, but they had sold out. Bad timing on my part.
Next time I see stovetop/campfire percolators, I'm picking up two of those, as well. :puffy:

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
My brother has a cowboy coffee pot.
I have a Kuerig, a Bunn and I actually just bought a big jar of that instant coffee. Going to try it out just to see what it's like.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Espresso for me; a double first thing in the morning (actually, most days it's two doubles for breakfast); another around lunchtime, sometimes one mid-afternoon and another (all doubles) just before bed. (No, caffeine does not stop me sleeping!)

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I was a tot, my folks made cowboy coffee, being super thrifty. They just threw the grounds in a coffee pot with a lid but no basket, threw in a few egg shells to smooth out the flavor, and boiled it. I've seen coffee made with little cloth bags of grounds that works well. I recently finished my a.m. pot of percolator coffee, a stove-top pot, no heat element and no timer. I make my wife her French press coffee. But the perc is just right for me, subtle aspects of the beans that only comes with percolators.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I’ve got three 30 cup percolators, all advertising pieces...

The one you see in my avatar is Folgers. The other two are Kahlua and Harley Davidson.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
BTW, one advantage to that big ol’ grinder is that I can select my grind and a good coarse grind is what goes best in percolators.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
mso: If you want that old 1870's taste a guy in Arizona has the "Arbuckle's" name and is selling "Ariosa" which was the blend that won the west. It even comes with the stick candy the chuck wagon cooks used to entice the cowboys to drive the coffee grinder. It's damned fine coffee if you like the taste of coffee. For those adding milk, flavors ... you'd be wasting your time. And your money.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

TaneRZ

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
York, England
I own a cezve that is just a size to make two portions of nice morning coffee. I'm not really picky and still continue to drink coffee of any quality, anywhere, even if it's a terrible mix made of chewed boot sole and some fine-grained sand. Though there's nothing better than homemade one with a lot of spices. I've been to a very small amount of places where barista can offer anything just a bit better.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
the sound and smell of a percolator are very nostalgic for me, but they make overextracted coffee so the nostalgia can remain a fond memory

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
As I came to understand things, coffee comes in five grades, partly depending on how long it's been on the heater. In Descending Order:

Coffee (the best)
Java
Jamoke
Joe
Carbon Remover (the worst)

Status
Not open for further replies.