2 Fresh Nanna Ivarsson Pipes
48 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Do you know any people who consistently correct you incorrectly then when you try to argue with them correctly over whatever it is they say something like "I forgot you know everything" which adds to the frustration because you were the one that they felt a need to correct... it's rather irritating. No wonder so many people decide to walk away from their lives and and society to live in a dank cave where a spider could crawl in their orifices while they sleep and lay eggs.

You mean... "Do you NOW any people who consistently correct you incorrectly" ha ha, JK

Yeh, even on here. I try to just walk away and ignore it, but the problem is that there are so many stupid people, that other people step up to "rub in" the incorrect correction, with a haha. Then next thing you know, other idiots are citing the stupid thing as proven fact. The mods don't have time to read through discussions, so everyone gets dinged when it turns into an argument, and of course stupid people want to argue, Not to diminish the mods. They do great work, they just don't have the time to sort out what is going on.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No I don't, with the exception of Ex Wife #2, which is why she's Ex Wife #2. And since our divorce nearly 20 years ago she's apologized to me profusely for "being such a c***".

I don't have anyone who constantly corrects me, in part because there's nothing to consistently correct. I'm both self and other aware. Moreover, I don't need, much less want, anyone who constantly corrects me.

Some people do want or need that, apparently, like wearing an invisible "correct me" sign on their back, attracting a flock of harpies.

If you're surrounded by a posse of behavioral and thought monitors, it's because you invite them in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2020
Yea... all sound observations etc. I don't really see a point most the time these days to argue about most anything with anyone. What's the point? When's the last time you've been in an argument and either party had some big revelation through the argument and changed their opinion. The only arguments worth arguing about are between two people who aren't really taking the argument seriously. Like over which is the best fruit to let rot and throw at people who needlessly incorrectly correct you.

Actually, this argument was over a word- which, for some reason is harder for me to let slide. We were talking about some celebrated film which the person said they really didn't think was so great and I said gently ribbing the person "I like how iconoclastic you are". And they were all "I am not iconoclastic I don't destroy venerated religious objects..." yada yada, while I was half joking using the more contemporary usage of which as I understand it has to with attacking generally accepted beliefs, etc., and for that matter knew my usage was rather loose on the bone. Anyway, no way in hell I will admit on here that this argument was with my "spouse".

Once many years ago I had an argument with this Spanish friend in front of a coffee shop about what the largest lake in South America was. I said that it was Lake Maracaibo and she corrected me saying it was Titicaca and was very forcefully about it. This was before smart phones so I told her I had to do an errand and I would be back in 15mins. So I ran down to the library which was a few blocks away found a book on South America and made a photocopy supporting my claim. In hindsight that seems like a real dick move and not something I would do these days. Confusingly, when I now Googled "largest lake in South America" it spits out Titicaca yet if I look-up "is Maracaibo the largest lake in South America" results say it is.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yea... all sound observations etc. I don't really see a point most the time these days to argue about most anything with anyone. What's the point? When's the last time you've been in an argument and either party had some big revelation through the argument and changed their opinion. The only arguments worth arguing about are between two people who aren't really taking the argument seriously. Like over which is the best fruit to let rot and throw at people who needlessly incorrectly correct you.

Actually, this argument was over a word- which, for some reason is harder for me to let slide. We were talking about some celebrated film which the person said they really didn't think was so great and I said gently ribbing the person "I like how iconoclastic you are". And they were all "I am not iconoclastic I don't destroy venerated religious objects..." yada yada, while I was half joking using the more contemporary usage of which as I understand it has to with attacking generally accepted beliefs, etc., and for that matter knew my usage was rather loose on the bone. Anyway, no way in hell I will admit on here that this argument was with my "spouse".

Once many years ago I had an argument with this Spanish friend in front of a coffee shop about what the largest lake in South America was. I said that it was Lake Maracaibo and she corrected me saying it was Titicaca and was very forcefully about it. This was before smart phones so I told her I had to do an errand and I would be back in 15mins. So I ran down to the library which was a few blocks away found a book on South America and made a photocopy supporting my claim. In hindsight that seems like a real dick move and not something I would do these days. Confusingly, when I now Googled "largest lake in South America" it spits out Titicaca yet if I look-up "is Maracaibo the largest lake in South America" results say it is.
Hmmmmm, just because you are right clearly doesn’t mean you aren’t “that person”. 😉

Jan 27, 2020
Hmmmmm, just because you are right clearly doesn’t mean you aren’t “that person”. 😉

I think I admitted that to some degree. Right or wrong... I try not to correct people these days if it's not somehow necessary or if I think it might really help the person. Even if you are right half the time people just correct others because their life feels out of control, or something similar, and it helps them feel better about something. Also, know-it-alls aren't very fun to have a conversation and I am a bore to myself most days. But I guess, I am an iconoclast and this cross which I broke in two is mine alone to bare.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 27, 2020
One thing I wish someone would of gently corrected me about over the years is my usage of "should of, could of, would of" I have no f'ing clue where I picked that up and still catch myself writing it at times. The shame is real...

Reactions: JOHN72

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In my view there are two basic types of disagreements: issues that have an impact on our lives and those that do not. I generally don't care what anyone's opinion is if it's an issue of the latter type. Unfortunately these days there are a number of contentious issues of the former type that either already have, or potentially will soon have, a significant impact on our lives. Public debate on such things is a necessity, unless you don't mind living in an Orwell or Huxley novel.