PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
$90 for an 8 oz bag? Maybe if I had tried it before and REALLY, REALLY liked it and couldn't find it anywhere else (which I have been able to do multiple times over the last 3 months at $39/8oz bag)
$90 for a 2oz tin? In the most polite way I can type this: HELL FUCKING NO!!!!!!

May 31, 2012
Who cares about Penz?

Not me.
A recently sold tin of Condor would have definitely had me checking the bank account if it hadn't sold out so quickly...
...I actually had a chance on some old Ogden's pouches of St. Bruno but hesitated too long.
A long wishlist of olde eyepopping English tins has crossed his threshold and that he makes them easily available is a wonderful thing....
Pipestud gets some incredible stuff in his shop!

:puffy:

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Again, the $90 price tag was for tins that are two decades old, not new tins.
It's not my blend, but it's pretty good, and people certainly spend money on dumber things than 20 yr old Penzance.

May 31, 2012
If I had the money, I would smoke nothing but vintage tobacco, preferably British made stuff.
Those that ain't never smoked none of those well-aged classics don't know what they're talking about,

but whatever trips yer trigger cause I understand the financial aspect as well and the inherent logical resistance to pay such prices, but in the long run, if you value peak smoking experiences it all works out in your favor.
"Without doubt, it involves trouble, of a sort. But what sort of trouble? Merely the trouble of noticing. And that is the essence of pleasure. All pleasures have to be noticed. An unnoticed pleasure is not a pleasure at all."
Relatively speaking, the baccy is actually pretty cheap if you consider what most of the world is paying for a 50g tin nowadays, not to mention when gauged against the frenzy of serious tin collectors who buy old empty stuff just for the lithography, well, our old vintage baccy turns out to be quite the bargain!
Several examples of recently sold tins illustrate this point:
Nic Nac tobacco tin store bin Dog cigar cigarette pipe RARE
:
rare Matoaka upright pocket tobacco tin
:
RARE Burley Boy tobacco pocket tin can KID Boxer Boxing Bagley's White Mans Hope
...and those are only recent sales, other old emoty stuff has sold for astronomical prices.
The old Ty Cobb tins being a prime example,

perhaps the most expensive tobacco tins ever sold!
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2012_preview/2.html
One sold before at $88,875 !!!
This guy got really lucky:

http://www.memorylaneinc.com/pr_tycobbtin_declaration.html
:
wmCbrEz.png

:​

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
+1 soymilk. I like Penzance but don't think it is worth the asking price (new stock). But to each his own and his own tastes. Life is too short to smoke blends you don't like. :puffy:

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Penzance is good I got some from the early 90s and it is sublime. Honestly though it's a blend if it's available and your ok with the price pick it up it is good, but I will say I prefer gl pease quiet nights and gaslight over the Zance and also pirate kake and ten Russians.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hype drives the market, and the prices. Would love to see what would happen to Dunhill if people would quit making such a fuss over their pipes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
To clarify, the Penzance for sale was the pre-Butera stuff (prior to 1996). It's easy to tell the difference on the tins as the Butera name is not on any Esoterica tins made post 1995
Considering this is 20 year old penzanze and pre-Butera, it's hardly news it sold that fast and at 90$ a pop not really that expensive considering people are selling new tins for that much and more on ebay.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
And the older you are, the more you're likely to pay a premium. I don't want to wait until I'm 80 to enjoy a bit of 20 year old Penzance. But I would settle for smoking just about any blend that old.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If I'm going to spend 90 bucks for a two ounce tin of tobacco (aged or not) it had damn well better come with a Victoria's Secret model.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I don't understand even remotely the complaints about pipe tobacco pricing - even at $90 a tin (for 20 year old tobacco).
Who here hasn't spent at least $10 on a cigar (unless they've never smoked a cigar)? One tin give at least 14 bowls or 14 hours of smoke experience. That's about 14 cigars. Sounds like an average cigar is like $140/tin pipe tobacco. And no one blinks at $20 for a top notch cigar, which seems like the equivalent of a $280 tin.

Dec 24, 2012
I actually thought that pipestud's prices on that aged Penzance were pretty good given the age. As someone said above, new tins are fetching that on ebay. I don't smoke a lot of Penzance but enjoy it. Alan on the forum here gave me some really old Penzance when I met him in New York recently and I thought it was just fabulous. Smooth as silk. The latakia had died down though, but for me that is not a bad thing. The orientals were still very zippy.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If you don't like the price, then don't pay it...seems pretty simple to me. It sounds like a bunch of old women bitching about the price of eggs at the grocery store. A product costs exactly what the market will bear.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I hate the price of eggs, and oh... I also hate the price of milk.

Other than that, bitching is part and parcel of any given forum site, i.e, it''s relative to the discussion as it pertains to the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.