PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I get an email that Pipestud has nine 2 oz tins of aged Penzance. I figure I'd have time to buy one...and yes even at 90 bucks a tin. I figured wrong. They were all scarfed up like a bum on a baloney sammich'.
Someone has a boatload of Penzance stashed away. He's probably rolling around in a pile of tins at night laughing away like The Riddler from Batman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UsEjrWqvuE

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
<p>I was lucky enough to pick up a 1/2 lb bag of the stuff some years ago and have been dipping in it here and there. There's so much good stuff out there that you can find great Englishes to smoke. But maybe it's easy for me to say when I've already got my stash... So I'll just keep quite

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Buy a pound of this for under $30, and enjoy. No hype, no waiting for in stock alerts, and IMHO, a better tobacco.
http://m.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=66072

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have yet to have a chance to try Penzance and with that said am not sure I'd be willing to shell out that much to try it, aged or not. :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Chasingmembers gets it. I'll go one better and suggest C&D Pirate Kake, a little less lat heavy but has a very earthy quality to it that greatly resembles the Penzance experience without the heartache and the never ending "out of stock" check back later messages.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Pirate Kake is good, Star of the East is good.............but they ain't Penzance......

It is what it is, a very in-demand product with a huge following---there really are no substitutes IMO.

Like fine wines, or whiskey's or beers.... price is commensurate with quality, there really are no substitutes...

Like it or not - gotta pay to play........... :roll:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've smoked Penzance, and still have an 8 ounce bag of it that I ordered from Iwan Ries last year for $38. Is it good? It's not bad. Is it worth the hype and insanity? Nope.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
$90 a tin, and it sold out like hot cakes!! Sorry but some people are just insane.
I truly don't understand why anyone would pay that much for tobacco, but I'm also content to smoke Carter Hall in a cob all day.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I've posted this before but I smoked Penzance back to back with GLP Quiet Nights and Squadron leader. I preferred them both slightly over Penzance. And I think Russ's Magnum Opus is as good. There are LOTS of excellent Lat blends. None are identical to each other but have their own distinct charms and nuances. I do like Penzance and would pick up a bag at MSRP or even pay a premium but not over $60 shipped. But I'm no longer cold calling tobacconists to see if they happen to have some in stock.
The people paying $90 bucks a tin know what they're doing, so it a fair price in a free market.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Worst....tobacco....ever....
Anyone remember when FVF was the best thing ever?
That lasted until we could buy it then no one gave a crap?

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I'll give C&D's Star of the East a try. Pirate Cake is too Latty for my tastes.
As far as pricey pipe tobaccos go, I always compare them to the price of a good cigar. I am not a rich man but I don't let money get in the way of my pleasures. We all have our vices I reckon, and at my age I don't guzzle booze, cuss or chase women so I gotz' to have some outlet. So I'll splurge on the "big buck baccys" every now-n-then....plus I got a cellar full of aged old goodies that I often roll around in. Problem is that my tobacco tastes keep changing..imagine that, lol.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Sorry you missed out, Kola. Maybe we'll catch you next time.
To clarify, the Penzance for sale was the pre-Butera stuff (prior to 1996). It's easy to tell the difference on the tins as the Butera name is not on any Esoterica tins made post 1995. Collectors have a love affair with Penzance for a lot of reasons. And while I'd not spend $90 a tin for that particular blend I sure do spend that much and more for a well aged 100g tin of the world's finest ever tobacco. Yes, I'm talking about that nectar of the gods, Dunhill's Royal Yacht. :wink:

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Yeah, I got the same email notice from Pipestud, and in the 20 seconds it took me to get on his site and quickly go from page 1 to page 2,to see if there was anything else I wanted to order real fast.. the Penzance was sold. Idk if I can even type the codes and names and hit send that fast! Hahaa. Never fear tho, Pipestud is the man, he will have more!

Status
Not open for further replies.