Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Well you know with a possible 87,000 more IRS agents coming they need something to do.

All of that aside a lot of people sell here and (other boards) that prefer FF and now with their business accounts taking in money for goods and services everything will change as far as taxes. I suppose the best thing would be if they just make personal accounts and keep getting money via FF.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Maybe the abuse of Friends and Family is driving this.

PayPal doesn’t get a cut, but more importantly they got tired of FF complaints when the seller shit all over the deal and became neither a friend or family.

I’ve been burned once.

Occam’s Razor
I agree they have just let it go and go and now are slamming on the brakes. Lots of people use the system to their advantage, I have bought 1000s and 1000s of dollars in cigars that have gone to a "real-estate agency".

Reactions: Casual

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Call me old fashioned but I prefer either to send a money order or a check. If I know the person then cash in an Express Mail next day envelope. Anything else just lets Uncle Sam take a wander through your personal stuff.
Yep, I won't do any sort or electronic financial transactions anymore. Been hacked too many times.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
When you file, just go through each transaction and itemize. When I buy a pipe, I just list it as a draw for myself, and it ends there. And, if someone is selling enough pipes to get a 1099, then you ARE a business and you’re not very smart to use F&F anyways.
I don't disagree with you. I think the 1099 limit is now only $600 though. I'm surprised they allowed F&F payments to a business account this long. Doesn't make a lot of sense to have that option for a business. Yes, some people with a business account would argue otherwise, but I never mix my personal and business stuff.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
When you file, just go through each transaction and itemize. When I buy a pipe, I just list it as a draw for myself, and it ends there. And, if someone is selling enough pipes to get a 1099, then you ARE a business and you’re not very smart to use F&F anyways.
Yup ? learned this lesson with of all things "Pokemon Cards" I had to get a business license for a hobby shop because I was selling so many at one point. But like all good things that came to an end and my taxes were pretty crazy compared to years prior when I was selling for fun. It's free for a business license here in New Mexico, So the smartest thing would be if your selling that much through (PP FF) is to start a business and be able to deduct most of what your selling that you have receipts for as business expenses.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Makes sense to me that this happened. In fact, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Businesses can't have "friends" or "family" because, well....they're businesses! They're non-living legal entities, not living beings that can have friends or a family. Can Walmart and Starbucks be "friends?" Of course not. So it makes perfect sense that PayPal put the kibosh on this option (another sub-entity of theirs, Venmo, will probably follow suit, if they haven't already done so). @kschatey said it best: business and personal do not mix. I also am in the same boat as @condorlover1 regarding so-called "antiquated" payment methods. Not only does it circumvent all the rule/policy changes that the third party payment processors are always unleashing on their customers, but it's also a great way to avoid their ever-increasing transaction fees. As far as I'm concerned, that's a win-win. And with bloated corporate greed perpetually on the rise with no end in sight, people are going to have to start seriously considering alternatives to the way they used to do business. It's either that, or go down with the ship.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
A seller saying “F&F only” has always read to me as, “I want to be able to screw the buyer without any repercussions.” Because if it was just about the few extra bucks, he’d have added it to the price.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
A seller saying “F&F only” has always read to me as, “I want to be able to screw the buyer without any repercussions.” Because if it was just about the few extra bucks, he’d have added it to the price.
If you don't use FF the buyer can just make a claim and Paypal always sides with the buyer. Whenever a Lurker with no posts says I can only pay with Goods and Services it has always read to me as, “I want to be able to screw the seller without any repercussions.”