PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
It is interesting that Arno mentions that the AC version was soapy. I bought the aromatic version by mistake once and it was very soapy.
I can say that the Standard Tobacco version is not soapy but does have an interesting sweet flavor that one can note from time to time.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My order was misplaced by USPS. P&C is sending a replacement. Really looking forward to the Warhorse.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hi all:
Sorry for my absence. I've been recovering at home for over three weeks. Daily nausea has prevented me from smoking but I hope to try the American Standard Products in the next couple of weeks. I've also been on Leave Without Pay for a month, so will have to replenish my personal allowance account before ordering the sampler.
Creating and organizing tobacco crawls over the last year has been rewarding and fun. But everyone is replaceable as Dan has proved. Thank you all for supporting the Crawl while I was/am out. I read the entire thead today and got a fresh appreciation of the value of real-time, critical pipe tobacco reviews from such a disparate group of inightful newbies and old timers. I found your posts interesting and motivating. Patterns of agreement and differences emerge and find myself having to order out of curiosity and the necessity to inform my own opinions first hand.
I'll be ordering as soon circumstances permit, and will post belated comments and observations at that time.
I look forward to joining you again soon.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Brass, welcome back. I did my best to hold down the fort while you were gone. Welcome back. It is with melancholy excitement that I hand the keys back in.
But before I go, we have one last bowl to smoke....

WarHorseTinontobacco2kp-vi.jpg

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
@woodsroad I bought the Cotton blends before the PAX crawl. Was just going to add the slices and war horse but when it came time to buy them I went with the PAX crawl 5 tin sampler. I figured I wanted more JC tins and I thought if I bought the sampler it could give you and P&C a definitive vote of confidence.
If we are talking about War Horse now I was not sure what to expect. I do not taste the top dressing which is good for me and although I do not smoke allot of burley I really liked this burley and I am sure the perique helps also. Although this blend does not have Latakia I am reminded a little of DPE.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
P.S. I ordered today. I'm hoping the eye will have healed enough that the docs will okay a couple of bowls a day next week- or sooner.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I'm really digging War Horse. I find it especially good at night. Tasty stuff with some nice peppery kick mmm.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Anyone who stops by the New York Pipe Show on Saturday, gets a free sample of War Horse. And Bengal Slices, and John Cotton's.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Last night I opened my tin of Warhorse. I won't give a review of the taste, since I am still recovering from a two week battle with the flu. I don't trust my taste. I will say that I only planned one bowl of this blend from a very small clay pipe. I had two instead.
But I shared the tin with the guys at the CPCC meeting last night. Lots of people wanted to try it. Someone said he tried one of the prototypes and didn't like it, but this was much better. Another said it smelled exactly like the blend that his father smoked decades ago. There was lots of enthusiasm for blend. I think y'all have come up with a winner!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
War Horse and a Cob pipe = all day happiness
It's stout and full bodied but with enough changes and complexity to stay interesting bowl after bowl.
I find there to be a very light floral aspect (geranium / rose?) way in the background which adds to the overall profile without ever covering or masking any other flavors.
Bravo! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.