Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint is an institution. Combination of pipe shop and pipe hospital, with oil cured Cayuga pipes and its own tobacco blends (Arrowhead is my favorite aromatic, a kitchen sink blend of tobaccos and flavors), Paul's sits between two condemned buildings.

A recent article is below, along with a link to Paul's website. While you cannot order online, Paul's will accept phone orders.

This forum is full of great comments and stories about Paul's. Perhaps we can share them here, along with your favorite blend and a photo of your Cayuga pipe.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I literally just ordered a pipe from them online earlier today. Had no clue they were going through this! I never had a Cayuga pipe before, so I'm looking forward to trying one. I do sympathize with his situation; my own hometown has a lot of condemned buildings that just sit and atrophy because they are privately owned by absentee shitheels. City council has (finally) taken several steps to correct it, as well as using federal monies from the IRA, to make much needed infrastructure improvements. I hope Paul's gets some much needed help!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I literally just ordered a pipe from them online earlier today. Had no clue they were going through this! I never had a Cayuga pipe before, so I'm looking forward to trying one. I do sympathize with his situation; my own hometown has a lot of condemned buildings that just sit and atrophy because they are privately owned by absentee shitheels. City council has (finally) taken several steps to correct it, as well as using federal monies from the IRA, to make much needed infrastructure improvements. I hope Paul's gets some much needed help!
Thanks for sharing.

For those that don't know, Cayuga pipes are "exclusive" to Paul's. Oil cured and treated with a "miracle cake", the break-in process is supposedly made easier.

A Cayuga was my first brar pipe that wasn't a basket pipe and the break-in process was easy. My Cayuga has generally just seen vanilla based aromatics (like Arrowhead) and is very seasoned with vanilla as a result (which goes great with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some years ago an author wrote a book about retail neighborhoods and what tends to congregate with what other businesses. It sounds a little nerdy, but an interview I heard on the subject made it interesting.

So this is picturesque, about Paul's situated between two condemned buildings.

I have always savored the fact that my local pipe shop, Pipes by George, is near a campus between a bicycle shop and a tattoo parlor. It just seems thematic.

It used to be clustered in front of old frame houses that rented rooms to students, but for the past ten years or so, it has been much gentrified and upgraded by replacing the old houses with up-market apartments, which I hope has been good for business.

However, like much about campuses, I think the apartments further crowd out affordable housing, including student housing, once again pumping up the already prohibitive expenses of going to school. I guess the working students are huddled elsewhere, some five to a room.

The whole student costs and student debt issue is a huge subject. When I was in school the states were highly generous with state universities. The schools kept the dorms and facilities pretty spartan, and that helped too. Now most schools over-build the amenities, and that further raises the prices, and pretty soon forty year olds are still paying student loans, putting off marriage and parenthood, and buying a house. It's not working.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
MrMoN8kl.jpg

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Thanks for sharing.

For those that don't know, Cayuga pipes are "exclusive" to Paul's. Oil cured and treated with a "miracle cake", the break-in process is supposedly made easier.

A Cayuga was my first brar pipe that wasn't a basket pipe and the break-in process was easy. My Cayuga has generally just seen vanilla based aromatics (like Arrowhead) and is very seasoned with vanilla as a result (which goes great with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning).
Just got my Cayuga yesterday. The first few bowls have so far been good. Nice draw, looks decent for the price, and fairly light-weight and clenches well. Pretty happy with it. I hope Paul's can keep on trucking.

I've been trying to limit my SP purchases and buy stuff more from the small B&Ms, even if it is just matches and other supplies. But man, a lot of these stores, IF they have a website, it is absolute dog shit. The customer service with Paul's I had was solid, but I felt like I was taking a shot in the dark while shopping on his online site; it is laid out like an old Geocites webpage, and the pictures of the pipes being sold are pretty crappy. If not for word of mouth from places like this, I may not have had pulled the trigger and bought a pipe from there. I'm glad I did.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Just got my Cayuga yesterday. The first few bowls have so far been good. Nice draw, looks decent for the price, and fairly light-weight and clenches well. Pretty happy with it. I hope Paul's can keep on trucking.

I've been trying to limit my SP purchases and buy stuff more from the small B&Ms, even if it is just matches and other supplies. But man, a lot of these stores, IF they have a website, it is absolute dog shit. The customer service with Paul's I had was solid, but I felt like I was taking a shot in the dark while shopping on his online site; it is laid out like an old Geocites webpage, and the pictures of the pipes being sold are pretty crappy. If not for word of mouth from places like this, I may not have had pulled the trigger and bought a pipe from there. I'm glad I did.
I own several Cayugas. Never bought one from the website yet.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Show some love to Paul's Pipe Shop. They survived the summer and are offering 20% off pipes $100 and below, 30% off up pipes to $210, and 40% off all more expensive pipes.

My Cayuga pipe was a great smoker out of the display case and is now dedicated to aromatics, especially Paul's Arrowhead, which is a kitchen sink blend.