PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Foredom is a brand of tool, they make buffers/grinders for industry and often the jewlery trade where polishing and buffing of fine pieces is done carefully. They make a small unit that will handle a 4 inch buff wheel. If you google Foredom and go to their site they list a variety of products. It is a bench unit so you can bolt it down and use both hands to guide your work. They do make a flex drive system also.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
OK, I have tried it out fully now and can report that Paragon and Halcyon II is great ONLY if the pipe has had a Carnauba wax finish to work on.
I have used it on pipes that I have stripped and re-stained. But putting Paragon or Halcyon does NOT do the trick. It cannot be regarded as a substitute for Carnauba Wax when using it with a 'virgin' surface, however, it does work well on top of previously well Carnauba waxed surfaces.
It goes to show.... there is no substitute for good hard honest work

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
How is the Foredom different than a dremel? As far as it's use.
A dremmel (or similar) has an RPM in the region of 15,000 RPM. It is great for cleaning, rusticating or signing your name on the pipe, but polishing it...... it's a waste of money.
As I have said on other posts, 15,000 RPM is about 10 times faster than you need to make a good shine. In fact it is 10 times LESS effective in doing what you want to do.
Go ahead and buy one and tell me I am wrong!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The best rig I have cone up with so far is a 1750 rpm motor and a couple of step pulleys. I can drop the motor speed way down to polish and bring it way up to do heavy sanding etc.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I've got a Porter-Cable 6" variable speed grinder from Lowes ($79) that turns from 2000-3400 rpm, I kinda wish it ran a bit slower but it works fine for me.
Instead of pushing the pipe up against the wheels with any pressure when waxing, I just make a series of light "swipes" with the pipe across the wax wheel and again on the flannel buff. No probem so far.

One of these days I may go look for an arbor and a couple of pullys to get the speed down. Maybe not.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I've never had Paragon separate like that, even when it's set for a very long time. I use Halcyon II and, when dry, a very soft brush (an old mushroom brush my wife was about to discard) on my rusticated/blast pipes. Love the stuff. I've had pretty good luck with Paragon, too, but I think your really do have to apply and polish several times to get the most out of it.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
No. I use them both, but the Paragon takes several applications before I'm happy with it. Of course, I'm buffing by hand and that might explain it.

thelogomat

Lurker
Oct 8, 2012
I read above that Paragon, etc. is only good if it has been properly waxed with carnauba to begin with. My pipe has been stripped down to just wood grain/no finish. Will Paragon still work? Is it a substitute for carnauba/buffing wheel?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I read above that Paragon, etc. is only good if it has been properly waxed with carnauba to begin with. My pipe has been stripped down to just wood grain/no finish. Will Paragon still work? Is it a substitute for carnauba/buffing wheel?
It will work just fine with out any carnuaba wax. How was your pipe stripped? Did you do any sanding,if so to what grit did you sand? The briar needs to be really smooth before the wax will give it a good shine. It can't be sanded,say with 360 grit- and expected to shine.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Who has tried the Carnauba Wax from Walker Briar Works? I tried both Paragon and Walker Briar's wax on two Charatan Perfections of the same age and finish for comparison. Paragon seems a little shinier. I liked the somewhat softer sheen of Walker's polish. Someone said online (don't remember where) that Paragon tends to darken a pipe. Anybody have any input on one versus the other and on Paragon possibly darkening a pipe?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I used Paragon on a Savinelli Natural pipe I had (basically, it's my "workhorse", smokes like a dream looks like hell) It DID darken the pipe a little, but not to the point where I would say it looks stained. I think most of the darkening has come from the oils from the tobacco seeping into the briar.
-Jason

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have used Halcyon II and Paragon on pipes I have refinished and stained. Both will darken the color just a bit. So will Carnuaba to my eye. I use them on all of my pipes. I use carnuaba mostly on pipes I have refinished to sell.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
John,I like both,but wish the Paragon could be used on rusticated pipes. It seems to be a bit harder and holds up better than the Halcyon.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
John,I like both,but wish the Paragon could be used on rusticated pipes. It seems to be a bit harder and holds up better than the Halcyon.
I totally agree. The Paragon(for me anyway) gives more of a glossy shine, but it is a tad more work as I need to go over the stamping on my pipes with the toothpick end of one of those dental flosser gizmos to get the excess wax out. Else whatever stamped on the pipe will have white lettering.

Status
Not open for further replies.