PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Hi Gang...first post on this forum, and naturally it's a couple questions!
First question: Have any of you used paragon wax on your pipes?
I did a bunch of reading about it on the pipes.org forum and decided that I would give it a shot. I ended up purchasing through Iwan Ries (rather than direct) mostly because I was already ordering some tobac.
Second question: Is it supposed to be such a bizarre consistency?
I opened up the jar and some of it literally poured out onto the countertop! I expected that it would be a bit thicker. It almost seems as though it has separated and I'm wondering if I should contact Iwan Ries about it. I tried mixing it up a bit with a couple toothpicks...but now it looks more like...hmmm...runny cornbread mix.
Last question: Is there a search function for the forum? I looked around a bit but nothing popped out at me. The "Search on site" box doesn't appear to search the forum.
Thanks in advance!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome bytor. That runny consistency doesn't sound right to me. The folks at Iwan Ries are very helpful, and one of the few companies that sell Paragon Wax, so they should know. In any event, please come back with whatever you learn. I'm keen to know about it myself. (You might just experiment with the wax on a old pipe.)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I like to know what you find out about the paragon wax too bytor.
Bob has been telling me to add a search feature for the longest time, and when I just saw your comment that finally made me do it.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome to the site Bytor!
I have no experience with Paragon. I agree with Cortezattic, get in touch with Iwan Ries. They should be able to help.

Keep us informed with any information that you find out about it.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I know this is a bit of an old topic, but I have just received 2 x 1oz jars of both Paragon and Halcyon II.
I used a Peterson SS 313 smooth to try the Paragon and a Peterson SS 364 to try the Halcyon II.
Putting the Paragon onto a smooth finish pipe is a dream. You do not need to use very much at all to give the whole pipe, including the stem and nickel mount. Be very very sparing. I left it to dry off for 5 minutes and then it polised by hand with a normal household duster cloth. The results are as good as buffing with Carnauba Wax, but with a lot less time and effort.
The Halcyon II was a little more difficult to apply, but no more than I expected since the problem lay in the rusticated finish and how to apply it evenly. I overcame this by using an old soft bristled toothbrush. Again, be very very sparing. After leaving it to dry for 5 minutes I then used a very soft natural bristled boot brush, making sure I brushed into all the nooks and crannies. I then finished off with a soft cloth. As with the Paragon, the results were very good indeed and infact better than using Carnauba wax and a mechanical buffer.
Remember:

Paragon - smooth pipes

Halcyon II - rustic/sandblast pipes
Overall impressions.

For speed and ease of use they are remarkable. Whilst the finish on the smooth pipes are similar, you don't get quite the same depth of shine as you do with Carnauba. As for Halcyon II, it far outstrips any mechanical methods of putting a shine on a pipe. You can get the wax onto the whole surface and you get no residual build up of wax as you do when you use Carnauba.

I will definitely use Halcyon II on all non-smooth pipe finishes from now on. As for the Paragon, well, if I have the time I will use Carnauba wax and mechanical buffers, however, if I have a quick job to do I'll use Paragon.
If you have no means of mechanically buffing your pipes, you can do no better than these two waxes. They are so easy to use and produce a very good finish.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I wonder if this stuff puts a protective coating on the pipe like carnauba boes or is it just for shine

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the report, Mark. I've been promising to try the Paragon for a long time and never got around to it.
Jim, if one can believe the advertising hype...
Paragon has a melting point of 228 degree F., 36% higher than carnauba alone and 11% higher even than Halcyon II. Thus it is highly resistant to heat. It forms a thin, flexible yet tough coating on the surface of the wood, a coating that is just under 30% harder than carnauba. Thus it resists abrasion from handling, repels moisture, and is far more effective in preventing oxidation, especially important for stems. It gives a deep, rich shine that is equal or superior to carnauba without a buffing wheel.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I bought both the Paragon and HalcyonII and thought the same thing about the consistency being a bit on the oozy side when I was expecting a "hard" wax. I just stirred it up on rubbed it on, buffed up nice on both types of finishes. I like the old soft toothbrush for the rough finishes. My only thought on the formulation is to allow an easy application by hand, as opposed to hard waxes applied to a buff wheel and then transfered to the pipe using friction to melt the wax on.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I've been using Paragon Wax since I bought some a month ago at the Vegas show. I think it's great. It is super easy to use and makes the pipes look great.
I'm not sure what Cortez' quote means about the melting point though. The jar I have is semi solid / liquid, kind of like partially melted wax already. That is one of the things I like.
I just put a little on my finger like Steve Monjure demonstrated and rub it on the pipe. Let it dry for a few minutes and polish it up. It is much easier than dealing with Carnauba, although as excav8tor said, it's not quite as shiny.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I just ordered some of both off ebay. I got the Halcyon II for less than $8 shipped and the Paragon for less than $10 shipped. I saw some flannel cloths at the dollar store and plan on picking those up to buff the pipes. I will let you guys know how it goes and please any tips would be most helpful.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I had bought a bench grinder to convert but it was too high of RPMs and the adjustable router I bought to control the speed did not work. I hope this works out better for me. Also, how do you guys suggest cleaning the pipe before waxing? I have some pipes that have crud on the outside and such.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Actually if you buy both from the guy on Ebay you can get them for less than $16 for each. He refunded $1.50 off shipping on one of them as I bought both.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The consistency of the of the wax in the package is due to volatile carriers. Simply put, it's some kind of solvent that flashes off after you apply the wax to the pipe leaving behind the nice hard, hard to melt wax.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
wallbright, the "guy" in question, Sam, is actually the owner of finepipes.com, the creators of these waxes. Nice guy, too. I ordered one small jar of each off ebay and he sent 2 of the paragon by mistake. I emailed him through ebay, explained the problem, offered to send the other jar of Paragon back to him, and he just sent the Halcyon 2 free of charge. So I basically got a free jar of PAragon out of the deal. When my jar get low, though, I'll be buying from finepipes.com...
-Jason

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Wallbright, all the articles I've read about buffing suggest a very low speed. Even the variable speed buffer/grinder on ebay turns 2000rpm which everyone seems to say is too fast. Most suggest a Foredom that can be turned way down. I tell you this now because I just bought a little Foredom off ebay last week. It came in Sat and is the cutest little addition to the workbench. Now I'll get some old beatups cheap to practice on, before I ruin a good piece of wood.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Well if you buy a adjustable speed bench grinder you can add a speed router control device and get the RPMs down. The problem I had is it was an induction motor so the router speed control device does not work. I would rather get this wax as I would have to buy waxes to buff anyways so in the long run this seems to be cheaper.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
That one is a little high Jeremiah but I suppose it would still work. I think you want between 1000-1500 RPMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.