Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you know the source of the bamboo? I like the distance between the knuckles. Gives the pipe a wispy appearance instead of rugged like the closer knuckled variety does.

Reactions: dragonbriars

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
All done via DM on instagram after he posted pics of it. Don’t think it ever made it to the site. Social media rules the world ;)
Yeah, there's many pipe makers on there, just haven't gotten around to joining those sites. I guess I am still old school. That being said, if the Etsy site is only updated with stuff that didn't sell on Instagram...kind of a let down...

Of course...Now, I will have to sign up!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, there's many pipe makers on there, just haven't gotten around to joining those sites. I guess I am still old school. That being said, if the Etsy site is only updated with stuff that didn't sell on Instagram...kind of a let down...

Of course...Now, I will have to sign up!

I don’t know what all he puts on Etsy, could be more than that.

dragonbriars

Lurker
Nov 9, 2017
Do you know the source of the bamboo? I like the distance between the knuckles. Gives the pipe a wispy appearance instead of rugged like the closer knuckled variety does.
Bamboo comes in all shapes and forms. Especially since typically the root is used. I source my bamboo directly from the best distributor in China who is very mindful of the tobacco pipe building community. It is very expensive, but I get the best that money can buy.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

dragonbriars

Lurker
Nov 9, 2017
I don’t know what all he puts on Etsy, could be more than that.
As pipe builders there are many obstacles for us to put out pipes. Number one is time. Many builders work full time jobs and can't commit as many hours as we would like to making pipes. Some of us are fortunate enough to have built a following large enough to support us as a full time profession. I am on the edge of this leap of going full time pipe builder. This being said, Instagram is a free platform which I can easily post real time pictures and even share the process of how these pipes are made. When I sell a pipe on Instagram I don't have to pay fees to Etsy or Ebay, or even maintain a web site. You avoid paying sales tax and I typically charge $20 less per pipe on Instagram because of this. You also get a piece of my personal life to as I share not only my pipes, but do tobacco reviews, and share tid bits of my life. My heart on my sleeve if you will. So yes, my pipes go to Etsy only after they had the opportunity to sell on Instagram. Hope to see you on Instagram. My profile name is tat2jawsh_dragon_briars

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
As pipe builders there are many obstacles for us to put out pipes. Number one is time. Many builders work full time jobs and can't commit as many hours as we would like to making pipes. Some of us are fortunate enough to have built a following large enough to support us as a full time profession. I am on the edge of this leap of going full time pipe builder. This being said, Instagram is a free platform which I can easily post real time pictures and even share the process of how these pipes are made. When I sell a pipe on Instagram I don't have to pay fees to Etsy or Ebay, or even maintain a web site. You avoid paying sales tax and I typically charge $20 less per pipe on Instagram because of this. You also get a piece of my personal life to as I share not only my pipes, but do tobacco reviews, and share tid bits of my life. My heart on my sleeve if you will. So yes, my pipes go to Etsy only after they had the opportunity to sell on Instagram. Hope to see you on Instagram. My profile name is tat2jawsh_dragon_briars

Yes, it makes the most sense financially and it's also nice that your honesty comes through and passes some saving on to the customer. Awesome work, it shows that you have a passion for the pipe!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've been drooling over your pipes on etsy for a while now.
You make some really cool pipes. Also love your use of coloured stems that really add something special to an already unique pipe.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just got a couple of "Baby Dragons" from Josh as well. Strongly suggest anyone who likes burner pipes along the lines of Morgan Bones or Scott's Burners check out the @dragonbriars "Baby Dragons" as well. Machine made pipes that are $45 naked or Josh can add whatever finish/stain you like for a few bucks more.

Mine (naked, $45 ea.) just got here today and they are nice looking pipes with decent grain, minimal fills, good drilling (both easily pass a pipe cleaner), nice thick walls, and nice stemwork.

DF667FC2-8110-45F2-9B42-851CB2783D16.jpeg
CE97BD56-86CB-4205-B2DD-57108493459D.jpeg
118D62E7-4ED1-4C31-AC68-6ACBC7DCCB60.jpeg
25EE4981-A44C-4D6A-9F05-1E1F62152887.jpeg
31D703DB-58F8-4FA7-86BE-67E7386BF84C.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.