PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
This time from a pipemaker I've been following on Instagram, Josh with Dragon Briars. I've been watching his pipes for a while, he does some awesome sandblasts, very vibrant stem work, and some extremely unique banding and accent work, many of which are a little too "metal" for me, skulls and such, haha. Not to mention some straight up crazy ass stains, but some very traditional ones as well. Very interesting shapes on the reg, often using high grade mimmo briar, and much more very unique work. A little something for everyone to be sure. His instagram handle is @tat2jawsh_dragon_briars if you'd like to see his work.

The pipe I nabbed is actually fairly conservative for him, a very lightweight cherrywood type sitter (34 grams) at 6 inches long. A nice little blast, chunky plateau rim, a .87 width/1.25 depth parabolic chamber, with a bamboo stem addition. I love the choice he made to replicate an additional bamboo knuckle in the shank of the pipe. Looking forward to giving this one a test run!

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
that looks way cool !!! I love that blast and the bamboo carving is tits!

Yeah, I've been eyeing a pipe from him for a while and my lack of a cherrywood in my collection (they are always too short) and the bamboo carving really sold me on this one. Check out his other stuff on instagram when you have the time. Some of the stuff he makes is just absolutely crazy, but alot of it is also very cool and more traditional looking. It's all quite unique to be sure, especially shape wise.

He made this one "just messing around and made a quick bamboo to warm up for what is to come. I have some grade 1 briar I want to do some bamboo pieces (with) so this was practice." hahaha.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I still don't like bamboo on a pipe. But boy that briar is beautiful!!! Like the color, grain AND shape!

Yeah, i've never been a huge bamboo fan either honestly, especially anything with more than a couple knuckles. It always just looks like a snake skin shed, or a super long grub maggot to me. I've wanted something with a tiny bit of bamboo for a while but nothing really spoke to me until this one came up.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Awesome! Those look really cool, and you're right that rustication is quite unique. Is it this one?:

That's the fellla. I'm a sucker for some of the more unique designs. The bamboo on your pipe looks great, from the instagram looks like the carvers got a good bad watch....I'll keep my eye out for what he does in that vein.

Reactions: BROBS

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice looking pipe. I like the knuckle in the shank and it has just enough bamboo...not too much. Congrats!

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
This time from a pipemaker I've been following on Instagram, Josh with Dragon Briars. I've been watching his pipes for a while, he does some awesome sandblasts, very vibrant stem work, and some extremely unique banding and accent work, many of which are a little too "metal" for me, skulls and such, haha. Not to mention some straight up crazy ass stains, but some very traditional ones as well. Very interesting shapes on the reg, often using high grade mimmo briar, and much more very unique work. A little something for everyone to be sure. His instagram handle is @tat2jawsh_dragon_briars if you'd like to see his work.

The pipe I nabbed is actually fairly conservative for him, a very lightweight cherrywood type sitter (34 grams) at 6 inches long. A nice little blast, chunky plateau rim, a .87 width/1.25 depth parabolic chamber, with a bamboo stem addition. I love the choice he made to replicate an additional bamboo knuckle in the shank of the pipe. Looking forward to giving this one a test run!

View attachment 16751
View attachment 16752
View attachment 16753
View attachment 16754
Funny, I didn't see that pipe on his site! Very nice grab, he does some excellent work!

Status
Not open for further replies.