PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Left work a little early to get a head start on the weekend, and dropped by my favorite antique store. I have been to this well several times, and never came back thirsty. This time my cup runneth over! Sitting in a bowl of pipes on a table, in front of the window, nestled against Dr. Grabows, Yello Boles, Savinellis, and the occasional BBB was a hidden wonder. For the princely sum of $23.00 I purchased this Pre-Transition Barling.

barling3.jpg
As soon as I got home the stem got a little buffing treatment, and I tried to remove as much as the charring on the rim of the bowl as possible.

barling2.jpg
I also reamed the bowl, and waxed the entire pipe. Not a bad find, the only thing missing was any nomenclature on the stem. This pipe dating before 1962 however, I was not too bother by that minor problem. The shank is marked with a faint Barling's in an arch over Make. Underneath is Ye Old and the rest is no longer readable. The pipe is stamped with a 4 digit serial number beginning with a "1" which designates it was made for the English market. This is the best find I have made yet, and pure luck, check your antique stores!!

barling1.jpg

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Great find..That's a beauty....I too went pipe hunting today and hit every thrift store,yard sale and antique store within 20 miles and not a single one..boo

omni

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
wow, really great find... looks like it cleaned up really nice. I like the grain on it.

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Can someone please spell PAD out for me. I am assuming Pipe Addicts Discussion... but am not sure if I am correct.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Pipe Acquisition Disorder
Soon to be followed by TAD. Tobacco Acquisition Disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.