PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
First off I never light my pipe without first checking the draw. I would rather have a tight pack as it will burn slower and cooler. I can loosen a tight pack with just putting a pipe cleaner down to the bottom of the bowl, no big deal.

For me a loose pack burns hot and has no flavor.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Like some others have said, I've found that adequately drying the tobacco goes much further in having a well-behaved bowl than any packing method. Any VA or VA/Per blend, I prefer very dry and a bit more firmly packed. Everything else is packed looser and with a bit more moisture. As others have said, it's really just trial and error.

All of my packing starts with the gravity method, then I tap the bottom of the bowl against my hand to get the tobacco to settle down after each pinch or two (like packing a pack of cigarettes, for anyone who has done that), and then I finish the packing by piling a little extra on top and pushing it in with my thumb. How much I top it off is what makes for a firmly-packed or loosely-packed bowl. For a loosely-packed bowl, I barely top it off at all. For a firmly packed bowl, I pile it on and press with just a bit of force. "Firmly-packed" is relative, as it doesn't require pressing hard at all.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
So I checked out the different approaches to packing. 3 pinch made sense but when I pack the pipe too tight for the 3rd pinch it seems hard to light and stay lit. I find if I loosen the tobacco in the pipe it seems to burn better. Are there any downsides to have the tobacco packed loosely?
Should draw from the stem like a soda when dry-drawn before lighting after your 3-fill process.
Milkshake thick draw, too tight.
Air draw lightly, too loose.

Practice is okay. Starting over is okay, especially at the beginning of your adventure. Unpack your pipe with your tamper tool into a bowl, cup, or ashtray and re-pack until you get it right.

You know, even on occasion, I underestimate the density and moisture of the tobacco I'm using, and I might pack too tightly once in a great while. Make sure you draw before lighting to make sure it's set right.

If it's too tight, you'll end up drawing too hard, fighting it, and it will be work and un-pleasurable. You'll end up drawing into your lungs too much tobacco smoke as well which is not recommended. Just unpack (cussing is okay if no ladies are pleasant), laugh it off, and start again (and again if necessary). No problem.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Does gravity fill only work when tobacco is dry?

The tobacco seems too springy to go in on it's own unless it's crispy
No expert here, but I "cube cut" the Cringle Flake that arrived today, left it out maybe an hour, put it in the pipe, took off for a walk about an hour later and an initial light and a quick relight and burned nicely all the way down! Wasn't crispy!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and tnfan

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm disappointed with this thread on two counts.

1. Should it really take 3 pages of comments to figure out how to put tobacco in a pipe?
2.I"m still unclear on if this has any relationship to packing a rod.