PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
So I checked out the different approaches to packing. 3 pinch made sense but when I pack the pipe too tight for the 3rd pinch it seems hard to light and stay lit. I find if I loosen the tobacco in the pipe it seems to burn better. Are there any downsides to have the tobacco packed loosely?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
It’s truly trial and error, but I do credit the old 3 pinch adage— once like a child, once like a lady and once like a gentleman with helping me when I started. It’s sensible and results in a near perfectly packed bowl.

After a while, you’ll be able to load without giving it much thought and produce your desired draw.

One immense variable that I don’t have to overcome is that 90 percent of the time, I smoke one favorite blend. Knowing it’s moisture and burn characteristics so well removes all guesswork.

You’ll find as you change blends that each presents a different set of characteristics. But… that’s the fun of a hobby. I’m content to stuff, puff and enjoy.

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
I’m not sure I’m understanding you correctly...

I translated some of the contents on my blog into English.
(I've wrote it in Korean, and It may be difficult to understand using a translator.
I ask for your understanding in advance.)

I hope these 3 solutions below will help you.

1) Pack the first and second steps more loosely.

2) Tamping with as little pressure as possible.

- Just the weight of the tamper. Put the tampers on top and lift them up again.

3) Pack the flakes with less density than ribbon cut.

Ribbon Cut - Crumpled Newspaper
Flakes - Flat Newspaper

It would be easy to understand if you think that.

For ribbon cuts, they can be filled with higher density compared to rubbed flakes.
This is because the ribbon cut is "BULKY" and has the property to swell up like a spring that is pressed for a while.

However, flakes are "FLAT", so even if they are rubbed,
they become smaller if they contain the same amount (weight) as ribbon cuts.
It becomes more "DENSE"

Compared to the ribbon cut, there is less space between them,
so it gets tight easily when tamping. So when you draw, it feels tighter.

Cheer up! Experience is the best teacher.
If you do this and that, your skills will definitely improve.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
This skill is just like that of my "learning how to bake bread" story. First, you should go by the "rules", and then you learn how to break the rules. Now, I pretty much cram the pipe with tobacco and off I go. Seems to work fine for me. Having said that, I love the fill 3X method and will use that for new tobacco to ensure some measure of a successful experience.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So I checked out the different approaches to packing. 3 pinch made sense but when I pack the pipe too tight for the 3rd pinch it seems hard to light and stay lit. I find if I loosen the tobacco in the pipe it seems to burn better. Are there any downsides to have the tobacco packed loosely?
That's the way to start. You can always tamp later.

Tobacco that's dried down just right is way easier to manage regardless of how a bowl is loaded, 'technique' or not.