PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
The 3-step method works for me. Fill 1/3, press lightly, then fill to 2/3, press a little harder, then fill to the top and press down harder. I agree that if the tobacco is moist—Sam Gawith comes to mind—it‘s worth drying it out a little before packing.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Yes...every bowl has a chamber, but not every chamber has a bowl.
Sekkyo said to one of his monks, “Can you get hold of emptiness?”

“I’ll try,” said the monk, and he cupped his hands in the air.

“That’s not very good,” said Sekkyo. “You have nothing there!”

“Well, master,” said the monk, “please show me a better way.”

Thereupon, Sekkyo seized the monk’s nose and gave it a great yank.

“Ouch!” yelled the monk. “You hurt me!”

“That’s the way to get hold of emptiness!” said Sekkyo.

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Sekkyo said to one of his monks, “Can you get hold of emptiness?”

“I’ll try,” said the monk, and he cupped his hands in the air.

“That’s not very good,” said Sekkyo. “You have nothing there!”

“Well, master,” said the monk, “please show me a better way.”

Thereupon, Sekkyo seized the monk’s nose and gave it a great yank.

“Ouch!” yelled the monk. “You hurt me!”

“That’s the way to get hold of emptiness!” said Sekkyo.
So this tells me either that pain is the equivalent of emptiness, or pain will make you appreciate emptiness...not sure which.

Reactions: Winnipeger

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Maybe it's that pain will make you not give a shit whether it's called a bowl or a chamber.
Causes a lot of confusion for new guys when discussing bowl shape for smoking preference. Some think that the shape of the stummel affects the characteristics of the smoke.

I was just trolling the language police (aka Chasing Embers.)
It's a bit like patting your belly and calling it your stomach. It's not language policing when anatomically speaking one is not the other. Watch the Dunhill factory video. The narrator goes so far as to call the shank the pipe's stem. Some will call a stem a bit when that's the section just before the button. Such inaccuracies can cause much confusion with new smokers particularly when the majority of the forum's attendance are newer smokers googling for information and have yet to join the forum.

images-2.png

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Causes a lot of confusion for new guys when discussing bowl shape for smoking preference. Some think that the shape of the stummel affects the characteristics of the smoke.

It's a bit like patting your belly and calling it your stomach. It's not language policing when anatomically speaking one is not the other. Watch the Dunhill factory video. The narrator goes so far as to call the shank the pipe's stem. Some will call a stem a bit when that's the section just before the button. Such inaccuracies can cause much confusion with new smokers particularly when the majority of the forum's attendance are newer smokers googling for information and have yet to join the forum.

View attachment 169718
I always get belly and stomach mixed up...but confusing shank and stem I cannot abide.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

View attachment 169718
In all seriousness, you are of course correct...but I think the distinction matters when discussing shapes and dimensions, but not so much if talking about "packing a bowl".

Reactions: Winnipeger