PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
R I D I C U L O U S... I still can’t get over FedEx, UPS, etc., handing packages off to USPS for final delivery ?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
A Chicago alderman made a comment that because of all of the Covid online purchases and deliveries...there's more garbage/cardboard to pick up on trash day.
So, charge more for trash pickup. In Aurora, IL they pay per can each week; each can put out needs a sticker on it that needs to be purchased. We have a similar thing in my town in Ohio for whatever doesn't fit in the allowed one can per week. So, why not just charge people accordingly to how much they put out. Also, isn't carboard recyclable in Chigaco?

Reactions: SoddenJack

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
City halls desperately need the cash they're losing due to forcing their businesses to close. It's gonna come from either fines or taxes.
The Tribune just reported yesterday that they're doing both - property tax increases and increase in fines for red light and speeding camera violations. The city and state are both net-loss populations for at least the last few years. No mystery why...

Oh, and they're not cutting any city jobs as originally planned because there has been an increase in revenue from marijuana dispensaries.

Reactions: SoddenJack

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The aldermen/women need more moneys for buying votes and keeping the populace in check with "give aways." I would surely expect other similarly governed cities for follow suit if the Chicago government gets no "push back." The move makes great sense from the City's point of view. No surprise.

Can't cut positions because so many are patronage positions, even the "Civil Service" ones.

And if you buy into the "increased trash" justification, well ... the voters deserve what they get.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The difference between the modern state and the mafia is approaching epsilon. But so is the difference between the average citizen and an outlaw.

• Love
Reactions: olkofri

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
big question. What do they mean considering. My bet is on the ole bait and switch. They'll do something but not at that rate. So when it happens people are like it could have been worse. It's a pretty old trick that's often pulled. The rate is really the give away here. So when it's ten cents or whatever that seems pretty good.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
So when it's ten cents or whatever that seems pretty good.
Those millions of residents not paying taxes really do not care what the different assessments are. Unless, of course, landlords see a chance to increase the monthly payment. I don't know if Chicago has "rent control."

Some customers may decry the raise in prices but, c 'est la vie.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
The aldermen/women need more moneys for buying votes and keeping the populace in check with "give aways." I would surely expect other similarly governed cities for follow suit if the Chicago government gets no "push back."
It's not that there's no push back, but more a matter of when the takers outnumber the makers. Chicago as well as the state of IL have passed that threshold. Some states have not yet, but the country as a whole has.

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
I hate this city. They tax us to death. corrupt, clowns. Has anyone bought Tabacco inside the city? The tax costs almost as much as the tobacco itself. My dad always said ,Chicago has two classes poor and rich, If you are in the middle, your f****d.

Reactions: scloyd and ron123

Spa32

Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I hate this city. They tax us to death. corrupt, clowns. Has anyone bought Tabacco inside the city? The tax costs almost as much as the tobacco itself. My dad always said ,Chicago has two classes poor and rich, If you are in the middle, your f****d.
I purchased tobacco at Iwan Ries once. I decided that would be the only time. Chicago taxes are criminal!

Status
Not open for further replies.