PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I pack almost to the top and then check the draw. If there is the amount of resistance I am looking for, I leave it the way it is. If the draw is to loose I will packit a little tighter. If it is too tight, I take a pipe cleaner and put it all the way into the chamber, and then move it around a little and it usually loosens it up perfectly. I like a tighter pack than a looser one.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I laughed at “keeping the tobacco flat”. You could call me a fanatic but I scrape the sides as I tamp and having an even burning, perfectly level ash is must! You should see me with cigars!

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
Just below the rim, the tobacco will invariably expand upon lighting, just tamp that ash...

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
below the rim to limit rim darkening which I am terrible about. It's on almost all of my pipes...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
below the rim to limit rim darkening which I am terrible about. It's on almost all of my pipes...

It's less about the height of the load, more about applying the flame to the tobacco. Hold heat source further away, and draw the tip of the flame near the tobacco, not on.

Prunetucky84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2020
Clovis, CA
I always pack the bowl of every pipe about a 1/4” down below the rim, so I don’t have any tobacco char the rim when it does it’s little fire dance. Lol

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC
I fill my bowls however much I want, at least half way but no more than ~90% totally full. Any less than half and it can be difficult to keep lit. Any more than 90% and rim darkening is going to be harder to manage in the long-term from my experience. Do what you like! Just my two cents.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Depends what I'm smoking. Depends on the pipe. Depends on the cut. Really depends on how much time I have. I've been smoking a lot of ready rubbed lately and is seems to burn forever, so I pack it pretty loosely. I generally pack a bowl more loosely because I find it helps reduce relights.

THIS! Last night I smoked a bowl of Old Dark Fired ready rubbed, and I cleaned it out this morning (mea culpa!), and there was like 1/4 of the bowl unsmoked! So yeah, we should take all those variables into consideration.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I often don't pack all the way to the top, for time purposes. Family/work requirements rarely give me an hour+ to sit and enjoy. So I'm usually 1/2 to 3/4 full. I don't really mind having things rise up above the bowl on first lighting though if I am able to pack it full.

Most of the Summer I was waking up really early (sunrise or a bit before) so that I'd have some time to smoke a bowl or two uninterrupted. Once the family is up, I swear there's not a single bowl that isn't interrupted by someone needing something. Sheesh!

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I dry my tobacco out before I smoke. If I over estimate how much I need it goes above the rim. If I underestimate it goes below!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Whether carefully, methodically loading the chamber off the drying board or doing the codger scoop from a pouch, one of few things I do consistently is fill to about half a centimeter below the rim.