Pack It To The Brim, Or Not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I think a lot of folks don't know that the hottest part of the flame is at the tip. I see people pulling the whole flame onto the tobacco so that the tip has no where to go but to the side: scorch!!
Yep! Someone like a wielder or anyone who works with torches will tell you that you never have to get the flame into the bowl. By doing so, you are most likely using the coolest part of the flame, whereas if you just hover the flame about a half inch above the bowl and just draw the heat down, not the flame, you are actually using the hottest part of the flame. With using a torch, one never touches the actual colored part of the flame to the part they want to heat, but keeps it back off the work. If you actually touch the work with the flame, you are cooling the metal off faster than it can heat.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Wow, good question, with a lot of interesting responses.

As a relative newcomer, I'm still experimenting, in part just to prove that there's no set way and I can change on a whim or adapt to varying circumstances.

I like the freedom to sometimes do it one way and sometimes another. I like discovering what else changes when I fill the bowl more densely, or when I only smoke half a bowl, or when bits of flake stick out the top.

My most recent delight was discovering that I could dump the entire bowl and start again with the same tobacco if it's not packed well the first time.

I'm now curious how y'all know how much to pack in a particular pipe. I mean, do you get to the point where you can grab a pinch that fits perfectly for the size of chamber you're using that day; or do you stuff it until it feels right and then gather the remainder back in the tin?

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and mso489

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
I'm now curious how y'all know how much to pack in a particular pipe. I mean, do you get to the point where you can grab a pinch that fits perfectly for the size of chamber you're using that day; or do you stuff it until it feels right and then gather the remainder back in the tin?

Pretty much botho
Pretty much both. Grab a bowls worth out, leave it the dry, then smoke ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's not the scorching the rim that I mind so much. I just don't care for expanding tobacco that turns to ash and blowing all over me. Ashes aren't so bad, but had few embers dropping on my old shirts making holes.

Reactions: instymp and jpmcwjr