36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Once I have my stems all polished, I will put a coat of Renaissance Wax over it, and polish it up to a thin sheen. Then after each smoke, I will hit the stem with a jeweler's cloth after each smoke to keep them all black and shiny. Maybe, I will coat them again with the Renaissance Wax, maybe not. But, it does at least prevent oxidation between uses, if a pipe becomes a bit of a wall flower on the rack.

But, yeh, if you just smoke a pipe and then rack it without doing anything for the stem, you're just asking for oxidation.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Vulcanite doesn't HAVE to discolor with proper care, like keeping it out of sunlight, and limiting exposure to the elements.

Not oxidized and 115 years old:
hzZwztQ.jpg

Not oxidized and 140 years old:
4mSbg1c.jpg

Nyahh...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Friends gave me a handsome estate freehand, a Thompson Cigar house pipe, stamped "West Germany," with a Vulcanite stem that oxidized immediately after being polished, again and again. I finally sent it off and had the black Vulcanite P-lip stem replaced with an acrylic fishtail in tortoise shell. It is a whole new pipe with a fine big chamber.

Reactions: edger and Zero

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Is that one of those Falcon ‘Coolways?’
Hardly surprising if it is. That’s one the cheapest pipes going, it’ll probably be turning green in the next few days.
Buy a Falcon proper. Nylon stems on those & no oxidising to worry about.

Reactions: edger and MattRVA
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Vulcanite doesn't HAVE to discolor with proper care, like keeping it out of sunlight, and limiting exposure to the elements.

Not oxidized and 115 years old:
hzZwztQ.jpg

Not oxidized and 140 years old:
4mSbg1c.jpg

Nyahh...
I have noticed that my 100+ year old pipes (even the ones not cased) are for more resistant to oxidation than my vintage and modern pipes.